MSE News: MoneySaver wins bank charges court case

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: MoneySaver wins bank charges court case

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
19 replies 4K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Oliver Foster-Burnell has won a bank charges case against Lloyds TSB at Taunton County Court...
Read the full story:

MoneySaver wins bank charges court case

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• colstencolsten Forumite
    13.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a 3 week old thread on this already: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5047472
  • What is going on?!
  • MABLEMABLE Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If customers were to run their bank accounts properly there would be no need to worry about getting charges refunded.
  • MABLE wrote: »
    If customers were to run their bank accounts properly there would be no need to worry about getting charges refunded.

If only life was that simple. £330 of charges in 2 months is quite difficult to recover from, all for going less than £10 overdrawn...

I'm glad the judge agreed!
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K posts
    Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler Newshound! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    13.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's all in the 3 weeks old thread.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    72.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    fermi wrote: »
    On BBC You and Yours today. Listen from 16mins 42s onwards

Little of real substance. The key legal points barely got a mention. The guy himself was waffling a load of rubbish on the whole. Would appear that Lloyds are considering their position.
    “Markets have been so good for so long, that many investors are trivialising the advanatages of actively managing portfolio risk" - Gervais Williams
  • Archi_BaldArchi_Bald Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The guy himself was waffling a load of rubbish on the whole.

The guy himself seems to be MSE user orfoster ;)

I agree with your assessment of the BBC broadcast, though.
  • ceredigionceredigion Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love the journalism.

"A MoneySaver has become what's believed to be the first person to win a bank charges case in court since 2007.
    "

Bit of a oxymoron in there
  • edited 17 September 2014 at 1:53PM
    dekaspacedekaspace Forumite
    5.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 September 2014 at 1:53PM
    What is interesting to me is a few years ago I had an arranged overdraft which I never really used, but went into it by accident when a company charged me twice, but even before that I knew my overdraft was due to expire and about 2 weeks before rang bank and went to branch but bank refused to renew it until after it expired so I was given about £100 in fees for being overdrawn and just told "well you had no overdraft facilities and were overdrawn"

Similar things happened when overdrafts were due up, I had fraud on my account so reported it to bank and the first thing they did was remove my overdraft! making me like a grand in debt then charged me huge fees of about £50 a month till it was sorted(took about 4 months)

I got the fraud money returned but not the £50 a month charges since the bank again said "well you were overdrawn so you got charges" and because they said I was overdrawn so often without a limit they would not give me another overdraft! Kind of crazy really that before the recession they kept ringing me to increase it and I kept turning them down despite my income being the same if not lower than now.
    orfoster wrote: »
    If only life was that simple. £330 of charges in 2 months is quite difficult to recover from, all for going less than £10 overdrawn...

I'm glad the judge agreed!

Heres where I admit something I did when I was at uni, I had a £1 direct debit bounce(was like 21p short) this gave me a automatic £30 returned payment fee, then a £30 fee for being in a unauthorised overdraft, ended up about £600 in fees and I remember explaining to the bank the only reason it bounced was due to (again) a company taking payment twice or in this case they took the amount to check money was in account, plus a payment my dad transferred from his account in the same branch 2 weeks before went "missing" and they kept saying it was sent and it was my dads fault, bank had none of it and just said it was my own fault.

Before that with the same bank which was my fault this time was I wrote a £10 cheque but got date of wages wrong so it came off a day before I was paid, bank let the £10 cheque cash but charged me £30 for being overdrawn.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support