...ISA account questions...

Options
2»

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So to clarify, I can put money into an 'old' 2013 ISA, but I won't earn any interest?
    No, that's not right - if you're allowed to pay into an old ISA (i.e. if you haven't paid into another one since 6 April 2014 and if it still accepts contributions) then you would earn interest on what you pay in. However, the point made by others above stands, there are likely to be much better homes for your money that would earn significantly more interest, even allowing for tax, see the list at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-loophole
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So to clarify, I can put money into an 'old' 2013 ISA, but I won't earn any interest? - That's fine and answered my curiosity!

If you are able, within the rules, to pay additional money into cash ISAs opened years ago, it would most likely be an unbelievably bad move (material for the Darwin financial award) as you would be able to get better interest just about anywhere else.

If it is an investment ISA you are talking about, then it is quite normal that you add new funds to an ISA you opened years ago.

Are you asking just for academic interest, or because you are trying to make the best of your money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure