Ideas please

Options
psso
psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
Not sure if this is in the right place but as sort of crafty,here goes.

School my grandsons attend is having a Christmas fayre in November. They will be having a room where the children can buy a present for mum/dad and it will only cost £1.

Can you give me any ideas of things which could be made for this please, nothing expensive obviously.

The PTA suggested going to pound shops and picking up things which are 2 for £1, but I would like some more unusual things.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015

Comments

• carlamarie_2
    Options
    I think things like snowman soup and flannel reindeer would come in quite cheap and give a small profit.
    You could also visit beauty counters and ask for samples. Make little bags to store a selection in.
    If you've got the time, chocolate slabs could be made cheaply if you use the supermarkets 30p chocolate. You could spell out mum or dad in a different chocolate or marshmallows etc. have them in cellophane bags or even cling film to bring the costs down.
    Design wrappers (or have a competition with the kids for best design) and cover shop bought choc bars with them.
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • carlamarie_2
    Options
    Or even homemade truffles in homemade boxes
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • psso
    Options
    Would truffles keep until Christmas if made early November, any time I've made them it's been for immediate consumption.

Charity knitting 2015
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 5 September 2014 at 6:51PM
    Options
    If you can knit why not make a few of these which can be made from scraps of wool. I knit them every year and my family love them, the only wool I buy is the silver stuff for the wings and the wand. I also had to buy small beads for the eyes.
    http://www.alandart.co.uk/product/all-patterns/furry-fairiesfree/

Edited to say I've just seen that you can knit
  • PlymouthMaid
    Options
    Those knitted fairies are lovely but surely worth way more than a pound - how long would one take to make?

I am actually really struggling to think of things which can be made so cheaply. Maybe if you can get cheap materials and jars, you could do salt or sugar scrubs but would that be allowed (thinking good old 'elf and saftey regs).
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 5 September 2014 at 9:30PM
    Options
    It depends on how good a knitter you are ( or how bad in my case ), once I'd made a few they didn't take long to churn out and they are very easy to knit. I've just seen he also has a free pattern for a birthday cake on his site, the next time I get the urge to knit I might make one for my daughter who will be 30 in a few months
    http://www.alandart.co.uk/product/all-patterns/birthday-cake-free/
    I also knit small Christmas stockings to hang on the tree, I fill them with sweets for my grandbrats and they love coming in to see what's been put in the stockings. I've used this pattern in the past but I use white hairy wool for the top of the stocking. You just have to be careful that they're not near the lights on the tree.
    http://www.jeangreenhowe.com/Images/Mini_Christmas_Stockings.pdf
  • glynisrose
    Options
    Christmas tree ornaments made from felt? Felt sheets (A4 assorted colours) are available from ASDA at £2 per pack and there are hundreds of free templates and directions on the internet. They take about 2 hours each to make if they are complex, ( Santa, elves, etc.) and about an hour if they are simple ( mittens, stocking etc.) Just download and print the templates and instructions, you can also teach yourself and others to sew using them!!
  • psso
    Options
    Trying to avoid tree decorations as the items for sale will be for giving mum or dad on Christmas day. We will be wrapping them up for the children so they will be a complete surprise on the day.

Charity knitting 2015
  • andymandy
    Options
    You could try xmas crackers made from a toilet roll tube wrapped with a face cloth and add cellophane bags of sweets inside.
    We did these last year and the cheapest place for facecloths was Home Bargains or Wilkinsons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure