Options

Comments

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Our local library has just been saved :T
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Discodee
    Discodee Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our libraries are rubbish this yr.
    Usually there's a full itinery of events in the local rag. THis year nothing, nothing on the webiste. If you click contact us on the website you get page cannot be displayed, and when i called at the local library she said you have to ring each different library and ask what is on and when. Do that, and no-one knows and has to go searching for some info!
    It's a shambles!!
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    Paul Leivers, the county council's head of cultural services

Good grief! I was at uni with him - and I'm still a lowly librarian, lol! The trouble is, libraries all over the country are having to rationalise (i.e. reduce) services. Where I live, the council's got a huge shortfall because they have to pay back-pay to a lot of female staff who'd been unfairly discriminated against for years. The money has to come from somewhere, and unfortunately libraries are an easier target than education or social services :(
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • MsChazzer
    MsChazzer Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    I used to be a public librarian and libraries are having to work so hard to justify their existence. It's a real shame because they are fantastic resources. But I felt like I was becoming some kind of teacher/social worker and left. Although I think community engagement is a good thing for libraries to do, I know I'm not the best person to do it!
    Got married 23rd May 2009, many thanks to all on the Weddings and Anniversaries board for their help and support!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure