1999 Halifax PPI Loan- Success- £6,768.3

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
10 replies 3.6K views
tkd2013tkd2013 Forumite
4 Posts
1.In July 2014, I went into the branch where my Halifax bank account was held. I asked the receptionist to check if any PPI had been paid and she provided me with 6 loans which had PPI attached on them. They dated back to 1999. She then registered a complaint for me there and then.

2. I was sent a PPI form to fill in with details of my complaints. I returned it.

3. I had a phone call from a Halifax advisor who asked me questions for around an hour to investigate the case.

4. I received a letter today from Halifax stating that I would be paid £6,768.63 within 28 days.

I was highly shocked as I know it seems to be standard for HBOS/Lloyds to just issue rejection letters willy-nilly.

My advice to anyone is go into the branch that holds your accounts. My dealings with Halifax date back to 1999, and whilst they will tell over the phone that they have not got the details, the branch has got your files and will be happy to check your PPI for nothing.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    tkd2013 wrote: »
    I know it seems to be standard for HBOS/Lloyds to just issue rejection letters willy-nilly.
    This clearly isn't true. These banks decline no more complaints than other banks. A robust mis-selling complaint should always be upheld.
    My advice to anyone is go into the branch that holds your accounts. My dealings with Halifax date back to 1999, and whilst they will tell over the phone that they have not got the details, the branch has got your files and will be happy to check your PPI for nothing.

Branch counter staff have no more access to customer records than phone line staff. They all use the same computer systems and the files are not confined to just the branch.

Well done on your success, however.:T
  • Branch counter staff have no more access to customer records than phone line staff. They all use the same computer systems and the files are not confined to just the branch.

Well done on your success, however.:T

Thank you for your congratulations.

I don't know how it works with other banks, but I enquired on the phone and was told by the operator that Halifax did not have the information about my account available on their system and I would have to go into the branch.
  • edited 3 September 2014 at 2:12PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 3 September 2014 at 2:12PM
    I enquired on the phone and was told by the operator that Halifax did not have the information about my account available on their system and I would have to go into the branch.
    Perhaps you were required to attend at the branch to provide them with identification? Regardless, the branch counter staff would not have had any more access to your account than call centre staff could call up. You were just fortunate that the details you wanted were readily available.

The only way to guarantee any Bank provides all information kept on file is to send a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter at a cost of £10.
  • I can only relate to my experience. It was the person on the reception, not behind the counter, who gave me all the details. I was told on the 08457 number that because it was 1999 when the accounts opened, it was the branch who held the PPI information.
  • Well done tkd

It is just as likely that the person in the call centre typed your name wrong and couldn't be bothered to prolong the call. It is easier to fob someone off by sending them to the branch than re-type the details and it still counts as a completed call for the call centre.

Any post has the potential to help someone else although some people seem to think only their opinion matters, if going to the branch works for somebody then try it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    if going to the branch works for somebody then try it.
    Absolutely, if it works.

The only guaranteed way of accessing such information is by sending a SAR letter.
  • M67M67 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this, but I had 2 loans from the Halifax one in January 03 and one in March 03, I didn't have any paperwork for them, I could only remember having a £13.000, loan from them and paying it off early with £5/6.000, I don't know if it was £13.000, between the 2 or if it was 13.000 plus another loan, I got a letter saying one loan had ppi but the other didn't, I didn't work at the time so my husband Co signed with me, and I'm sure I remember being told I had to have ppi because I wasn't working, so am confused as to why one loan would have it and not another, they also agreed that I did get a penalty for paying it off early, so the letter was saying I'm due £238, back but I have had someone tell me that the amount is definitely not right, I have been advised to ask Halifax for paperwork relating to the 2 loans and bank statements where all repayments were made, I just wanted some advice on wether to ask them for the paperwork or just accept what compensation they have offered. Thank You, in advance.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    33K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't follow that. Could you bullet point it please.

What have they offered and why?
  • M67M67 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Hi, I was offered £238, because Halifax admitted I had ppi on one loan, but that I didn't on the other, it was a £13.000 loan, I can't remember the amount of the other loan, but can remember we had a penalty for paying the £13.000 one off early.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    33K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The early redemption fee has nothing to do with PPI.

Why do you think the sum offered is wrong, especially as you repaid early?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides