babysteps with my credit file

Options
Hey all,

Having had zero credit history, I've been using the forum advice and working on a plan to build slowly and gently, without smacking too many searches on my file.

Progress so far:

Electoral Roll: Registered.

BT Broadband, TV and landline: Credit check passed.

RBS Basic Bank Account: Declined. No credit search made.

Nationwide Flexplus: Credit check passed, no overdraft offered.

Aqua card: Referred to underwriter, final decision Declined, underwriting team stated after much argument of why they can or cant tell me why, marginal credit internal scoring failure, try again in 3-6 months.

o2 Sim only: Initial approval, asked to pay £99 deposit, called the number given to pay it, then declined me, no reason given.

Three Sim only: Credit check passed.

Cashplus with Creditbuilder: Couldn't authenticate identity, asked to send copies of passport, driving licence, and two utility bills. Rang to say didn't have the bills yet as not long moved in but had EDF supply contract and home insurance cover note, customer service stated these were acceptable, week later sent me a letter saying they wont accept the address verification as not utility bills but driving licence and passport accepted. Ongoing.

Santander Basic bank account, to be used as bill account, Declined. Decision overturned on appeal, account now active.

Its certainly a minefield trying to build again from scratch! I cant remember it being this hard when I was 18, but that was before the recession and credit criteria being tightened.

Do you guys think this is a good starting basis and how long before I should try to get a sub prime card or further credit to strengthen credit file?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure