Cat won't eat

edited 31 August 2014 at 11:41PM in Pets & Pet Care
9 replies 973 views
ERICS_MUMERICS_MUM Forumite
3.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 31 August 2014 at 11:41PM in Pets & Pet Care
My Eric is 16 and has always had a good appetite. During a hot spell a few weeks ago he didn't eat much but I put it down to the weather. He got thin and "hollow" round his hips/haunches. He hasn't really got back to normal since. He will eat but he's got very picky. At the mo he's got 3 bowls of wet food, 2 of dry food and a bowl of Bob Martins milk for cats. He sniffs them all, has a random mouthful from a couple.

I've bought Whiskas etc, cheap own-brand stuff from Home Bargains, expensive Hills Science dry, and more of varying quality and price. I still can't find "the one". However he loves human food such as cooked meat, tinned tuna etc, which I feed him in desperation. He's fine in himself - feisty, has mad minutes dashing up and down stairs and still chases birds and butterflies.

So, my questions for you are - any ideas why and what can I do for him. Also would it harm him if I just feed him chicken, tuna, eggs etc (not dairy) ?

thank you.

Replies

• gettingreadygettingready Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great age for a cat :) Photo????

Frankly at his age - I would give him whatever he likes...and spoil him rotten

But if you really want to keep him on cat food, have you tried the Felix but not the normal one but the "as good as it looks" ? Not the best quality food BUT all my 4 boys absolutely love it so they get it from time to time...
  • FrogletFroglet Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be booking him in at the vets to have a check and maybe some blood tests.It may not just be that he is getting fussy.He could have underlying problems that can be treated if caught early.
  • RevRev Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be popping him to the vets too.

My cat did similar last year. I was so worried. He started to get lathargic after a while. They did a few tests. Checked for a blockage and it turned out to be an infection (I can't remember exactly where sorry). A course of antibiotics and steroids and he was fine.

Sadly no just feeding him chicken and tune won't be a complete diet. Have you tried a bit of raw chicken? I wish mine would eat raw but sadly now.

They're picky little aids though my two. I have a grain free dry down all day. One will only eat shredded chicken (but I'd rather she had some wet than none at all and she eats tiny amounts a day so I just chop a chicken breast into four. Boil it and shred it). And the other will only eat pate types. And has a grain allergy.
    Sigless
  • z.nz.n Forumite
    275 Posts
    Get him to the vets asap. Don't hang about- not eating is really serious for cats. Can't remember the exact details but something to do with the liver- anyway, they can go anorexic very quickly and once that happens you are on a roller coaster-been there, done that and it is very distressing. If you speak to the vets they will give you an early appointment. The reality is that he may have not been eating as much for a while and you have not noticed and if he is losing weight that suggests the problem is not going to solve itself.

At 16 it could be an underlying issue or something as simple as a bad tooth-what is his breath like? Wishing you luck.
  • ERICS_MUMERICS_MUM Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks to you all, the vet it is then.
  • edited 2 September 2014 at 11:27AM
    shopaholiczshopaholicz Forumite
    756 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 September 2014 at 11:27AM
    don't forget to come back and tell us how he's doing please. How he'sOK
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!:smileyhea
  • paddypaws101paddypaws101 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    16? Just a youngster then, eh?;)
    But...it is an age where issues such as kidney problems or Hyperthyroid can show themselves. ask vet for a senior blood panel and a T4 for his thyroid.
    I have no problem with giving an older cat plenty of treats, and snacks of human food....but it really is not ideal for it to form the basis of his diet.
  • edited 1 September 2014 at 6:21PM
    TiddlywinksTiddlywinks Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2014 at 6:21PM
    z.n wrote: »
    Get him to the vets asap. Don't hang about- not eating is really serious for cats. Can't remember the exact details but something to do with the liver- anyway, they can go anorexic very quickly and once that happens you are on a roller coaster-been there, done that and it is very distressing. If you speak to the vets they will give you an early appointment. The reality is that he may have not been eating as much for a while and you have not noticed and if he is losing weight that suggests the problem is not going to solve itself.

Absolutely, a cat not eating is very serious.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_hepatic_lipidosis

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/12/13/feline-hepatic-lipidosis.aspx

16 isn't *that* old for a cat these days but it is around this time that age related problems such as kidneys, arthritis etc may start to crop up.

My last kitties reached 22, 21 and 18. I currently have a 17 yo and a youngster of 7.

A trip to the vet is a must... I'd recommend asking about using Hill's Prescription Diet a/d... it's specifically designed for poorly cats and is high calorie but soft and easy to digest.

My old girl has IBS and she has this every now and again as a calorie boost and it helps her maintain her weight.
    :hello:
  • z.nz.n Forumite
    275 Posts
    Yes- that is it-lipidosis. I lost a 22 YO cat to this despite a couple of weeks of syringe feeding the Hills A/D high energy food. I had him PTS because it was clearly only going one way. I had not noticed he wasn't eating as much because of the other cat who hoovered (untreated thyroid on the basis the treatment would likely finish him off) but regular weigh-ins at the vets proved he was losing weight rapidly despite our best efforts. It becomes academic what the actual reason is because the not eating will get them first.

My three old boys made 21,22 and 24. New boys (could not manage without cats in the house) are just on 5 months!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides