Time limit on Utilities' debt recovery?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
3 replies 709 views
CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
15.6K Posts
Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I have a outstanding debt with Scottish Power from a previous account at a previous address which was never billed.

The question is: does this debt stay around forever, or is there a time limit on back-billing?

Is this simply the 12-month limit, or is there more to it?
ex Board Guide

Replies

• No, it is six years in England and five years in Scotland. (Renewed each time they contact you, though.)

The 12 month back-billing may limit the amount to be recovered to one years worth but it can chased for longer. And not being billed is not a get out - it is only where you yourself have made reasonable attempts to set up the account.
  • Technically the debt would still exist even after 6 years but as Nada666 basically says it is no longer pursuable through the courts after 6 years therefore if you tell them you aren't interested at that point there would be little they could do.

You can't however just move & then expect bac billing guidelines to help you 12m later. They are intended to help with genuine supplier error not be a charter for evading legitimate debts
  • edited 1 September 2014 at 1:55PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2014 at 1:55PM
    Nada666 wrote: »
    No, it is six years in England and five years in Scotland. (Renewed each time they contact you, though.)
    Sure. I'm not actively trying to evade it, but there's a limit to my patience with incompetent organisations.
    The 12 month back-billing may limit the amount to be recovered to one years worth but it can chased for longer. And not being billed is not a get out - it is only where you yourself have made reasonable attempts to set up the account.
    It's slightly complicated, because I have been both a resident of the address concerned, and its landlord at different points in time.

When I was originally resident, I spent quite a bit of time encouraging SP to resolve an error on the national database which meant that my account was associated with someone else's meter. I then moved out for about 6 months, and when I got back, it transpired that the error had reappeared. At that stage I both attempted to get the account in my name, and I made a formal complaint. I heard nothing on either, and when I contacted SP again, they told me the account was not with them, but with nPower.

I then contacted nPower, who confirmed this, but never billed me.

2 years later, I moved out again, and tried to finalise my account with nPower, who then told me they were not my supplier (having previously told me a number of times they were and my account was in limbo within their systems, due to a systems fault). I re-contacted Scottish Power to give them my details and asked them to bring the account up to date... which they have not done, and I have heard nothing from them (over a period of 4 months).

I guess all of that makes a technical difference in that there is no debt, yet, because no money has ever been demanded.
    ex Board Guide

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals