nPower - Need an account to get my preferred supplier?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
4 replies 899 views
szam_szam_ Forumite
641 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Afternoon.

I recently moved and let my supplier know i wanted to carry on with them. They were happy with that, told me when my direct debit would start and advised me I should get a bill 'to the occupier' which I can pay.

Fair enough, I thought.

nPower have raised an objection now, meaning the transfer has been cancelled. I rang and they are demanding I create an account with them. I don't want an account for 6 weeks!

Can anyone advise who is right here? Ovo or nPower?
XBL: xSzam

Replies

• Npower. You are in a deemed contract with them from the day you moved in. If you don't register with them, you can't leave. I hope you have your opening meter read still, without that Npower will have to estimate, which could leave you paying for energy you haven't used.
  • edited 31 August 2014 at 8:12AM
    keith1950keith1950
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 August 2014 at 8:12AM
    nPower have raised an objection now, meaning the transfer has been cancelled. I rang and they are demanding I create an account with them. I don't want an account for 6

By not registering with NPower on the day you moved in you have delayed the switching process meaning you will be on NPower's standard tariff for longer than necessary.
    Can anyone advise who is right here? Ovo or nPower?

NPower are correct.

Also as above, your opening meter reads to NPower should tally with with the previous occupants closing reads otherwise they will think you are giving them false information.

By registering on the day you move in you are giving them the opportunity to send a meter reader straight round and record the actual readings.
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    szam_ wrote: »
    I don't want an account for 6 weeks!

Who's going to pay nPower, the current provider, for the last 6 weeks of use then?

nPower are correct. You are their customer until you formally switch.

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't switch unless you have a supplier to switch from. Hence the objection, because you didn't register for an nPower account on occupation.
    The system has run on deemed contracts for more than 20 years now.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides