Need to vent about npower

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
7 replies 1.1K views
giraffejoegiraffejoe Forumite
68 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
npower have to be the most frustrating company I've ever dealt with.

I haven't had a bill since November 12. I've had an open complaint with them that is still unresolved since May 13.

I've had to contact them on 10 occasions to chase it up or when they haven't taken my direct debit.

I finally moved supplier on 3rd July but am still getting reminders to send meter readings in.

I rang them last on Tuesday to ask about my final bill. Said they were still having problems. Today I got a letter dated Wednesday saying they have written off any amount that may be outstanding so I will not get a final bill. Only problem is my account is £1100+ in credit and I'm pretty sure I've paid too much!!

Tried to call today but the complaints team weren't available to take my call as they don't work Saturdays and they are the only people who can deal with me and are only open Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm which is pretty much my working hours!!

Seriously getting fed up with them now. Just needed to vent!

I've tried to contact the ombudsmen but they said that they couldn't help as npower haven't had long enough to deal with the complaint! When I queried this I was told that they actually couldn't help as the complaint had been raised over 9 months ago.

I'm not the sort to rant and rave down the phone as it's often not the person on the other ends fault but I just feel completely frustrated.

Replies

• undauntedundaunted Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    I'm not convinced by the Ombudsmans reply but if they want to play silly beggars just make a new / different complaint & in 8 weeks time send them that. IE You know you're tarrif & meter readings I assume? You can work out from that what your bill should be & if that shows Npower owe you money yet appear to be trying to steal it then you have a new complaint. Alternatively forget about the Ombudsmen & simply sue them for your money if you have to.
  • nPowernPower Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    giraffejoe wrote: »
    npower have to be the most frustrating company I've ever dealt with.

I haven't had a bill since November 12. I've had an open complaint with them that is still unresolved since May 13.

I've had to contact them on 10 occasions to chase it up or when they haven't taken my direct debit.

I finally moved supplier on 3rd July but am still getting reminders to send meter readings in.

I rang them last on Tuesday to ask about my final bill. Said they were still having problems. Today I got a letter dated Wednesday saying they have written off any amount that may be outstanding so I will not get a final bill. Only problem is my account is £1100+ in credit and I'm pretty sure I've paid too much!!

Tried to call today but the complaints team weren't available to take my call as they don't work Saturdays and they are the only people who can deal with me and are only open Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm which is pretty much my working hours!!

Seriously getting fed up with them now. Just needed to vent!

I've tried to contact the ombudsmen but they said that they couldn't help as npower haven't had long enough to deal with the complaint! When I queried this I was told that they actually couldn't help as the complaint had been raised over 9 months ago.

I'm not the sort to rant and rave down the phone as it's often not the person on the other ends fault but I just feel completely frustrated.

Hello giraffejoe

Thank you for your post

Have you had any explanation, or your bill yet? If you email me with some more information using the address on my profile page, I'm more than happy to look into this and see about sorting this out for you.

Kind regards

Beth :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using [email protected] - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • giraffejoegiraffejoe Forumite
    68 Posts
    Just thought I'd update this.

I called npower last week and was told they were able to produce a bill which was for £23.01. They offered to write that amount off and offered me a goodwill gesture of £131.00 which I accepted.

I received my online bill yesterday. They had used a different tariff to calculate my bill and not the one I was on. They had also not applied the £100 discount for direct debit/dual fuel discount for December 12 and 13. I worked the bill out myself based on what my tariff should have been and that bill should have showed as a credit of £235.16.

Contacted npower today and was on the phone will them for over an hour and a half where they recalculated my bill manually based on the tariff I should be on. They tried to tell me that for the period April 13 - May 14 I would have used £1468.00 in energy!!! My actual bill from November 12 - Jul 14 only came to £1034.80. Based on my annual summary from May 13 - May 14 FROM NPOWER I used £601.39 of energy. I brought this up and he said the annual summary was just an estimate. Advised him that I had used more or less the same amount of energy as it stated on my annual summary. They wouldn't budge and assured me many times their manual calculation was correct. I asked what figures he had used and he had not even used the correct prices again.

Call basically ended by them saying they have gone as far as they can and won't budge and that there is no way they will give me any more money back that the £131 goodwill gesture.

I asked to open another complaint but they said that they wouldn't do it over the phone on this occasion and was told to write in or email in.

Absolutely abysmal!!
  • naedangernaedanger Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    giraffejoe wrote: »
    Just thought I'd update this.

I called npower last week and was told they were able to produce a bill which was for £23.01. They offered to write that amount off and offered me a goodwill gesture of £131.00 which I accepted.

I received my online bill yesterday. They had used a different tariff to calculate my bill and not the one I was on. They had also not applied the £100 discount for direct debit/dual fuel discount for December 12 and 13. I worked the bill out myself based on what my tariff should have been and that bill should have showed as a credit of £235.16.

Contacted npower today and was on the phone will them for over an hour and a half where they recalculated my bill manually based on the tariff I should be on. They tried to tell me that for the period April 13 - May 14 I would have used £1468.00 in energy!!! My actual bill from November 12 - Jul 14 only came to £1034.80. Based on my annual summary from May 13 - May 14 FROM NPOWER I used £601.39 of energy. I brought this up and he said the annual summary was just an estimate. Advised him that I had used more or less the same amount of energy as it stated on my annual summary. They wouldn't budge and assured me many times their manual calculation was correct. I asked what figures he had used and he had not even used the correct prices again.

Call basically ended by them saying they have gone as far as they can and won't budge and that there is no way they will give me any more money back that the £131 goodwill gesture.

I asked to open another complaint but they said that they wouldn't do it over the phone on this occasion and was told to write in or email in.

Absolutely abysmal!!

Well I am not surprised. (I would be had I not seen just how atrocious npower are first hand.)

However at least this is now a new complaint i.e. you are complaining about the most recent bill and that it has been calculated incorrectly. Also npower themselves have said you can need to open a new complaint.

So follow npower's complaint process and if they do not resolve the complaint to your satisfaction after 8 weeks go to the Ombudsman and this complaint will not be time-barred.

http://www.npower.com/home/help-and-support/contact-us/complaints/complaints-handling-policy/
    68 Posts
    Think I'm going to have to do this.

I was just shocked at the cheek they had on the phone telling me I was wrong with the bill amount. They were adamant and stated many times that the manual calculation they did for April 13 - May 14 of £1468 was correct. Even when they pulled up my annual summary showing the cost from May 13- May 14 was £601.39 they assured me their calculation was wrong. Even when they told me the unit price and daily standing charge they had used to calculate this, and I pointed out this was much higher than the tariff details I had, they still said they were right.

They really wound me when they said 'no-one is going to give you any more money and you have had all you're getting from us'.
  • i have had the same problem with them erm all you have to do is always ring on every chance you get even if it means giving up your brake it took me 3 weeks but i finly got though to them by saying i am taking it to the papers
    68 Posts
    I've just sent my complaint to them by e-mail so will await their response.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals