2 policies, 1 car

Options
Evening all, just wanting to pick your brains. Son has recently passed his test. Wife and I currently have four cars between us, all owned and registered to me, 3 have insurance policies in my name one in the wifes name. We are both named drivers on each others policies. Now son is going to be using one of the cars and has arranged his own insurance with him as main driver and me as named driver.
The policy I have on this car expires early November so just about two months to run. My intention is just to leave it to lapse at renewal time but I was wondering if it was okay to have 2 policies running at the same time albeit only for 2 months.
Secondly does it cause a problem if I am the registered keeper yet don't have an insurance policy in my name on the vehicle although I would be insured on sons policy to drive it. I read somewhere to take insurance you needed an interest in what was being insured and obviously son wouldn't have as car belongs to me still.
Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Carian wrote: »
    Now son is going to be using one of the cars and has arranged his own insurance with him as main driver and me as named driver.

Did he declare that he is not the owner nor keeper?
  • Carian
    Carian Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi yes he declared parent ie me as owner and registered keeper
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any reason you didn't just add him to your policy?

If you have told him he is responsible for it then he has an interest to insure it.

It is ok to have two policies on the own car but can complicate things in the event of a claim.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there are two policies then a claim would normally be paid 50/50 from each one. That would be two loads of to pay and two claims to declare at renewal.
    The man without a signature.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    If there are two policies then a claim would normally be paid 50/50 from each one. That would be two loads of to pay and two claims to declare at renewal.

Where did you get that from?

If a claim is dealt with by multiple insurers that doesn't mean it is multiplied on your history.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure