Financial Ombudsman appearing at a circus near you

Options
I've just had the Financial Ombudsman make a decision against me and my complaint with RBS based on him being able to 'read my mind' and making 'assumptions' about what I 'might have said' and 'might have done' 15 years ago using documents I've never seen.
I didn't know that this was a legitimate process and methods for investigation.
As far as I'm concerned RBS took my money in 2004 without my knowledge, or authority and then refused to cancel the product and refund my cash. They then blocked my attempts to complain and the Ombudsman has ruled in their favour.
Wrong message to be sending out that even when a company acts against your own findings FOS IE that PPI was largely mis-sold and certainly in the case of 'simply attaching' it without telling the victim not correct, you then endorse it and collude to let that company continue its bad practice.
Financial Sideshow would be a better name for them!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just had the Financial Ombudsman make a decision against me and my complaint with RBS based on him being able to 'read my mind' and making 'assumptions' about what I 'might have said' and 'might have done' 15 years ago using documents I've never seen.

Presumably, there was no evidence to support what you said you said either.
    I didn't know that this was a legitimate process and methods for investigation.

Evidence and balance of probability. Slightly more consumer biased than a court which would require beyond reasonable doubt.
    As far as I'm concerned RBS took my money in 2004 without my knowledge, or authority and then refused to cancel the product and refund my cash. They then blocked my attempts to complain and the Ombudsman has ruled in their favour.

Lots of things going on there but we can be none the wiser to the real issue unless you elaborate. For example, RBS cannot block your attempt to refer to the FOS unless you are timebarred.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What actually happened? What do you mean that they just took your money?

FOS are impartial and for them to side with RBS will indicate there were no evidence of any failings.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    RBS cannot block your attempt to refer to the FOS
    I took the poster's comment to mean that the Bank sent a Full and Final rejection ("blocking" his attempt to complain) and that the Ombudsman has subsequently ruled in favour of the Bank. At no time did RBS "block" FOS involvement.
    As far as I'm concerned RBS took my money in 2004 without my knowledge, or authority and then refused to cancel the product and refund my cash.

It's a myth sponsored by Claim Companies that PPI was randomly added to loans, credit cards and mortgages without the customer's knowledge and permission.
    The truth is far more likely that you simply forgot about the insurance which is not a valid mis-selling complaint, I'm afraid.

Unless you have evidence to the contrary, FOS can only rule on a balance of probabilities. They don't purport to "read your mind", but they do examine documentation provided by the Bank to support their case.
    roonaldo wrote: »
    FOS are impartial and for them to side with RBS will indicate there were no evidence of any failings.
    Indeed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport