Halifax Debit card, online or offline?

Options
My Halifax Reward card starts with 4462, and is contactless.. Is it online of offline? Cheers! :)

Comments

• dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrSilk wrote: »
    My Halifax Reward card starts with 4462, and is contactless.. Is it online of offline? Cheers! :)

It will be offline as like its parent company they only issue contactless cards to customers that they deem can be trusted with them.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • MrSilk
    MrSilk Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will be offline as like its parent company they only issue contactless cards to customers that they deem can be trusted with them.

Ah, thank you - I thought that may be the case :), funny; I defaulted with Lloyds TSB 5 years ago, I wasn't aware they where part of the same group until recently.

:)
  • Nathan101994
    Options
    Unlike some other banks all Halifax (Credit Worthy) account cards are offline except their Expresscash, Cardcash or Easycash accounts. Hope this helps :) :beer::money:
  • dr_adidas01
    Options
    Unlike some other banks all Halifax (Credit Worthy) account cards are offline except their Expresscash, Cardcash or Easycash accounts. Hope this helps :) :beer::money:

Again totally pointless and you are wrong Halifax do issue online only cards too!! Just like their parent company Lloyds does!!
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • Nathan101994
    Options
    Again totally pointless and you are wrong Halifax do issue online only cards too!! Just like their parent company Lloyds does!!

Correct but unlike Lloyds halifax issue a visa electron card on these accounts. Halifax are very strict with their acceptance of full current accounts as they only issue offline debit cards on them :)
  • dr_adidas01
    Options
    Correct but unlike Lloyds halifax issue a visa electron card on these accounts. Halifax are very strict with their acceptance of full current accounts as they only issue offline debit cards on them :)

Again wrong they only issue visa electron on there easycash account. A friend who works at HBOS confirms they do infact offer online cards with all their current account if a customer does not meet the criteria for an ofline card.

If you don't meet the critera for an offine card you will not be given a contactless card either, its just the same for LBG they also have the same policy.
  • TrustyOven
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an online or offline debit card?
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • dr_adidas01
    Options
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an online or offline debit card?

Online card will always dial home to check funds are available before authorising a payment if the funds are not available then the card will be declined. It also can't be used in places such as planes, trains, ships and pay at pump as these places cant always dial home to check funds are available.

Offline is the opposite it won't always dial home to check you have funds available before authorising a payment. It can be used on planes, trains, ships and pay at pump terminals.
  • Armorica
    Options
    But, offline cards will still dial home for some/all transactions depending on how you use the card. E.g. if you always use it for above average transaction in high street shops / internet, the transaction is likely to be authorised. But some transactions for 'offline' cards won't be authorised but will still be accepted by the retailer. With an 'online only' card, those transactions would be declined.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure