We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail lost postage compensation?

Options
Hi, so I made a purchase on ebay for £30, which was due to arrive 10 days ago, and never turned up, I've contacted the seller who claims it has gotten lost, has tried offering a half-refund, and now claims Royal Mail won't compensate him for his loss because he didn't purchase insurance on the product, and this is what they told him.

I seriously doubt he even sent the parcel and is just trying to fob me off for £30, but I have some reservations because he has almost 100 feedback...

The parcel was sent either by first class or second class delivery, I'm not sure, but surely they provide some sort of cover to account for lost parcels etc which he can claim?

If so, can anyone provide a link to a page on their site that proves this, as I'm not entirely sure what to search for?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you pay via paypal? Why not just open a dispute with them?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just open an item not received claim on ebay, or preferably paypal and let them deal with it.

Do not let him fob you off, it's his problem not yours, get your whole £30 back.

If he has proof of postage then he is covered for more than £30 anyway, and if no POP then he has been a silly seller, don't pay for his mistakes.
  • criboo
    criboo Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Did you pay via paypal? Why not just open a dispute with them?

I have done this but I just want to catch him out lying to be more certain I'll get my full £30 gets back when I can escalate the case on the 30th
    bris wrote: »
    Just open an item not received claim on ebay, or preferably paypal and let them deal with it.

Do not let him fob you off, it's his problem not yours, get your whole £30 back.

If he has proof of postage then he is covered for more than £30 anyway, and if no POP then he has been a silly seller, don't pay for his mistakes.

I'm not going to let him off, he's been really slippery and I had suspicions from the start. If he has POP and it's second class postage (worst case scenario) does he have £30 worth of coverage then? If so, do you know where it their site it says this?

I thank you both for your speedy responses.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/1st-class-mail#faq-19350007-19350004

Every 1st Class item is covered against loss or damage up to £20 or the value of the item, whichever is lower.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/2nd-class-mail#faq-19350014-19350009

Every 2nd Class item is covered against loss or damage up to £20 or the value of the item, whichever is lower. Compensation for valuables, such as money and jewellery, is not available on this service

And its usually paid in stamps, not actual money, just go through your paypal process, if he has POP it has to have POD otherwise his claim will fail anyway.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Nope. £20 with POP
  • bris
    edited 27 August 2014 at 8:32PM
    Options
    Used to be about £40 when did it change?

never mind found it, reduced from £46 to 20 http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/06/royal-mail-cuts-compensation-for-lost-post-324333/
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Used to be about £40 when did it change?

no,it was always aligned to 100 x the cost of a 1st class stamp.
    It was split from this alignment before privatisation.
  • bris
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    no,it was always aligned to 100 x the cost of a 1st class stamp.
    It was split from this alignment before privatisation.
    which was about £40, £46 when it was cancelled so yes.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,402 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are also a myriad of items that are not covered at all, but again that is not the OPs problem.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure