Split the Bills

Options
Has anyone any experience of using this online firm 'splitthebills' to sort out their student house share bills? Would be interested to hear if you have.
Over futile odds
And laughed at by the gods
And now the final frame
Love is a losing game

Comments

• ciderwithrosie_2
    ciderwithrosie_2 Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2014 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Just to add, I'm not spamming. My son's off to Uni and in a houseshare from the get go due to lack of rooms in halls available, he's sharing with other students he's met once at a houseshare matching event (admittedly, with their parents). This firm was mentioned to me by a work colleague (their student daughter is using it but has sorted it out herself so the colleague couldn't give me an opinion).
    Over futile odds
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • The_Jakal
    The_Jakal Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's an ok site...

But your son would definitely be better scouting out the deals himself. Splitthebills charge £1/week (per housemate) to sort everything out for you.... it adds up.

They also only work with limited suppliers (so not always the cheapest or best).

It doesn't take long to sort it all yourself.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've always thought the best way is to take responsibility for one or two bill(s) each. That way everyone is liable for something without you all being connected officially by a bank account or something like it. If someone won't pay their share for one bill you can withhold from them etc.

Always seemed to work for us.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DD and I set up a bank account and all of the housemates paid £10 per week into it. all bills were paid from the account and I monitored it for them so they could see exactly what was what. at the end of the year, remaining funds were given back in proportion. When some didn't pay the others reminded them. That way nobody was chasing anyone else for a 1/5 share if a bill.
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Think they will most likely pay into an account rather than go with 'split the bills' as I worked out that would be an extra £30 a month between them which would cover another bill.
    Over futile odds
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business