We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Complaint's deadline extension when the company migrated or closed

Options
William300
William300 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 25 August 2014 at 9:07PM in Consumer rights
Hi,

I would like to know he official deadline in UK regarding domain name dispute.

Thanks in advance for help,

William

Comments

• Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What has actually happened? and what are you trying to get from it?

Has the domain name now been registered by someone else?
  • William300
    William300 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 25 August 2014 at 9:02PM
    Options
    Please see above.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    William300 wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a domain name in 2006 and renew it until 2008. However, in 2008 when I tried to renew it again (received an email notification for this purpose) my payment has been rejected and the company started claiming that I did not renew the domain name during the last two years. Since that was my first purchase of domain, I also made a complaint only to the company which was in fact a simple reseller : they told me that the true registrar had closed and themselves were migrating. I thought that the domain name was locked and they told me I will be informed (with first priority to re-purchase it) as soon as the finished their process however they didn't and in 2011 the company itself has closed (trading under another name).

By doing my own research I found that I could have directly file a complaint to Icann but I was not aware of this last nor the company/registrar didn't provide me any complaint procedure (but just on phone that "they will contact me later").

My present problem is that icann is presently saying that they may accept my complaint since it was more than 3 years ago (but I believe I "technically" late only for a year due to the US state where the registrar is based). Additionally, I was I don't know if that will help but I was sick for a year during 2008-2009.

Thanks in advance for help,

William

I think that any complaint from 6 years ago you should just forget about really.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its not a UK dispute though unless its a .uk domain. ICANN have already said its 2 years, Nominet (the UK registrar) won't be able to setup in for non UK domains.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport