Student - How To Build Credit History

Options
Hi folks,

Starting Uni this September. Being money savvy I'm interested in trying to build up a credit rating. I've currently got several current accounts shifting money with TSB, Nationwide and Lloyds paying 5% and 4% Gross.

Would it be worth opening Student Credit Card accounts with TSB / Lloyds / HSBC / Hallifax / Capital One, with the intention of paying back the bills instantly via direct debit? This would give me the benefit of building a credit rating, plus reaping the additional benefits thrown in with the cards (e.g. cash back, discounts etc.)

Thanks,
Henry

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One card will suffice. Choose one that suits your requirements.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Henradical wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Starting Uni this September. Being money savvy I'm interested in trying to build up a credit rating. I've currently got several current accounts shifting money with TSB, Nationwide and Lloyds paying 5% and 4% Gross.

Would it be worth opening Student Credit Card accounts with TSB / Lloyds / HSBC / Hallifax / Capital One, with the intention of paying back the bills instantly via direct debit? This would give me the benefit of building a credit rating, plus reaping the additional benefits thrown in with the cards (e.g. cash back, discounts etc.)

Thanks,
    Henry

unless you have a earned income you will struggle to get anything but a student credit card with a low credit limit.

but yes, if used proper;ly and paid in full each month they will build a decent credit file for you.
  • Henradical
    Henradical Posts: 6 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2014 at 2:18PM
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    unless you have a earned income you will struggle to get anything but a student credit card with a low credit limit.

but yes, if used proper;ly and paid in full each month they will build a decent credit file for you.

Thanks, do you think it's worth having a couple of accounts (There are a few with nice incentives) or would it just be overkill and unnecessary. Managing multiple accounts doesn't bother me in the least. If it benefits the credit history that's great.

Cheers
  • CLAPTON
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Henradical wrote: »
    Thanks, do you think it's worth having a couple of accounts (There are a few with nice incentives) or would it just be overkill and unnecessary. Managing multiple accounts doesn't bother me in the least. If it benefits the credit history that's great.

Cheers

by 'accounts' do you mean credit cards?
  • Henradical
    Options
    by 'accounts' do you mean credit cards?

Yes, sorry
  • CLAPTON
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you are a student with no earned income, then it is difficult to get normal cards as they usually require a minimum income.

Student CC usually are associated with student banks a/cs and have low credit limit (say max 500) and no real benefits; however they will hold you in good stead later when applying for cards with benefits.

No harm in having more than one as long as you pay them in full each month.
  • Henradical
    Henradical Posts: 6 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2014 at 3:20PM
    Options
    if you are a student with no earned income, then it is difficult to get normal cards as they usually require a minimum income.

Student CC usually are associated with student banks a/cs and have low credit limit (say max 500) and no real benefits; however they will hold you in good stead later when applying for cards with benefits.

No harm in having more than one as long as you pay them in full each month.

Thanks, yep I have no intention of borrowing money at all, just building a credit record. Yep I know I would have to use student credit accounts but most banks are doing those nowadays.

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport