Stolen Identity.

Options
Hello All,

Bit of backstory first so please bear with me!

I moved house a couple of years ago, and it turns out my credit card issuer had not updated my address. I didn't notice as I get all my statements online. They sent out a new credit card for me when mine expired, but they sent it to my previous address. The person living there attempted to purchase stuff online with the new card, but this was declined as it looked suspicious. The card issuer contacted me and blocked the account, they then sent out a new card. But they sent it to my old address again with a new pin number. This time the person living there attempted to withdraw cash from the local cash machine, but again the transaction was cancelled as the card had not been activated. All of this was reported to the police. A couple of weeks later I received a letter from my card issuer saying someone had attempted to open a new line of credit using my details. There was some information on the application that was incorrect so it was declined. This was reported to the police as well (through Action Fraud). Then i checked my credit file and it turns out that a couple of accounts using my details have been opened with mail order companies. Whilst the amount of credit was relatively small (£125 for two different companies) the person has now received goods which have been paid for using my name. This was reported to Action Fraud again. During each of the four phones call to Action Fraud they have made it clear that I have no rights to know if there has been any action taken as apparently I am not the victim. I understand that technically I am not a victim as I have not lost any money and throughout the whole process my credit card issuer has made it very clear that I am not responsible for money lost. However I am beginning to feel a bit victimised as this is now four attempts on my identity to steal money or products from others. To put it another way, I feel like someone has attempted to break into my house on four occasions but the police won't help until something of mine is stolen! Even though they know the address of the suspect and have CCTV of him/her using the cash machine!
Does anyone know if it is correct that I have no rights to know what is happening? The police have now had four opportunities to react to this attempted theft but have yet to act. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

I have been placed on CIFAS so any attempts to access credit in my name will require extra security checks, which is at least of some comfort.

Next, i am beginning to receive black marks on my credit file for nonpayment of the credit that was taken out in my name. I went bankrupt six years ago and have spent the time since rebuilding my credit file and being really careful with any form of credit, and now i have these bloody marks on my file. Can i get them removed as my six years of work has been trashed!

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Off the top of my head...

You are not the victim of fraud, the credit providers are, but you are a witness.

You could try reporting them to the police (not ActionFraud - your local police) for harassment, to the effect that every time this person applies for credit in your name it causes you distress and also inconvenience in having to sort out the issues that arise from their conduct.

>> print off and take: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/40/section/1

The police might not think it amounts to harassment but I can't see it wouldn't.

CPS Guidance on harassment says as follows:

"Harassment can take place on the internet and through the misuse of email. This is sometimes known as 'cyberstalking'. This can include the use of social networking sites, chat rooms and other forums facilitated by technology. The internet can be used for a range of purposes relating to harassment, for example:

identity theft such as subscribing the victim to services, purchasing goods and services in their name;"

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/stalking_and_harassment/

Whether they used the internet is neither here nor there really, the conduct is the same and the method in which the person subscribes the victim to services is irrelevant to the effect it has on the victim.

The fact that they used a credit card doesn't mean they haven't purchased goods and services in your name, it just means that they haven't exposed you to financial loss. So I would suggest that it would amount to harassment of you but not fraud. The fraud is to the credit provider(s).
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family