Company sent me extra item

Options
This probably isn't unusual, but I ordered something online and I had 2 items delivered to me one at a time. The invoices are identical (Same order number) and I've checked my bank account and I've only been charged for the one item. If the company contacts me. Am I under any obligation to return the extra item? Not sure if it falls under unsolicited or not. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
I try to help as much as I can. But I'm also honest and speak my mind.

Smoke free since Jan 2014 :D If you want any advice on quitting please send me a PM. :)

Comments

• DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No its not unsolicited and yes you do have to return it.

They have 6 years to recover it under statute of limitations law, if they ask and you don't return it then they'll probably just debit your card for the second item.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    1. Keep it and shut up

2. Pay the company or return it
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not unsolicited as you made an order - it's a mistake. Contact the company concerned and invite them to arrange for the extra item to be collected at a time convenient to you.

Depending on the value, they may just tell you to keep it anyway.
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but yes, as Tony says, if the value is low it would cost them more in p&p and arrangement of a time to suit you then to just let you keep it.

I assume we are not talking about a 52" LED TV ? ;)
  • Unintentional
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info. I'll contact the company within the next few days if they don't do so already. :)

Smoke free since Jan 2014 :D If you want any advice on quitting please send me a PM. :)
  • Unintentional
    Options
    krisdorey wrote: »
    but yes, as Tony says, if the value is low it would cost them more in p&p and arrangement of a time to suit you then to just let you keep it.

I assume we are not talking about a 52" LED TV ? ;)

Haha, nah. looking at around £180.

• redcard
    redcard Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Options
    Haha, nah. looking at around £180.

"I'm also honest and speak my mind"

:T
    Hope over Fear. #VoteYes
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    Not sure if it falls under unsolicited or not.

Of course it doesn't. Why did you even post that? were you hoping it would be an excuse to keep the goods?
  • George_Michael
    Options
    This forum is getting more like a school playground every day with certain posters who have personality clashes with other posters using the boards as an excuse to insult, ridicule and generally post comments that have nothing whatsoever to do with the questions being asked.

If you want to have slanging matches, why not stick to pm's rather that foisting your opionins on everyone else.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This forum is getting more like a school playground every day with certain posters who have personality clashes with other posters using the boards as an excuse to insult, ridicule and generally post comments that have nothing whatsoever to do with the questions being asked.

If you want to have slanging matches, why not stick to pm's rather that foisting your opionins on everyone else.
    Or, better, yet why don't people like that find another forum where they'll be allowed to row?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure