Monarch concerns

Options
Hi all, we have booked to go to Florida next August and have paid in full. This week I have read that Monarch are stopping their long haul flights from April next year!
Where do we stand on this if they do?
The tour operator (Thomas Cook) don't seem to know anything about this revelation and Monarch said we wouldn't have any problem but I'm not convinced. The holiday is with Cosmos who,it appears, use BA and Virgin flights out of season (we're going in August)
Can anyone here shed any light on this news?
:(
DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Where are you due to fly from as it looks like it is only flights from East Midlands that are affected.
    http://www.monarch.co.uk/news/flights/2014-news/monarch-airlines-to-stop-flying-from-east-midlands-base-in-2015

It's still possible to make booking for LGW to Sanford for summer next year so I would assume that some long haul routes will still be operated.
    Your best bet would be to give Monarch a call on Tuesday.
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    Hi we called Monarch today and they have said there isn't a problem. However they probably would say that!
    If you type 'monarch long haul' into google it's on the BBC business page which comes up.
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be speaking to Cosmos.
    It appears that you have booked a package with them, so it it is for Cosmos to re-arrange things, if that is needed.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have spoken to the airline and they have said there is no issue. What more do you want?
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not officially announced per the articles I've found, so it may be that they will stop taking bookings as of April, as opposed to stopping the actual flights.

Make sure you have travel insurance just in case, but if they're telling you it's alright then they likely have provisions in place to make sure that is the case.
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    You have spoken to the airline and they have said there is no issue. What more do you want?

Confirmation/clarification that if they are telling lies that our money and holiday is safe. Do they have to still fulfil their contract? (Fly us BA or Virgin) as we have already paid the balance and entered into a contract in good faith?
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Sistafromanothermista, you were asked in the first reply you received:
    Where are you due to fly from...
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    Sorry. Gatwick.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Could Monarch be stopping operating scheduled flights (i.e. you book through them directly) and only ones they operate on charters for the tour operators?
  • wealdroam
    edited 24 August 2014 at 5:00PM
    Options
    Sorry. Gatwick.
    Then have another read of post #2.

Particularly the linked to document.

You say you have recently read something.
    Can you please point us to that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport