Refund with only a credit card statement

Options
I purchased a birthday present for my daughter from the Tesco direct website, using 'click and collect'. My husband collected it from our local Tesco store and mistakenly paid for it again using the self-scan checkout. By the time I had realised that this had happened, the receipt was lost. I phoned up Tesco direct customer service and I was told that I would be able to get a refund for the second purchase of the item however I would have to take my credit card statement to my local Tesco and they could match up the credit card transaction with the purchased item and then give me a refund. I did this and was told the store could not refund the second payment and I would have to discuss it again with Tesco direct. Arrrggh. So I went back to Tesco direct and emailed them a scan of my credit card statement showing that I had purchased the item twice, once via Tesco direct and once via the Tesco store. They replied to say that they would not be able to refund the second payment which is very annoying as it is a significant amount £59.99. Where can I go with this now? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did they say why they wouldn't refund? I have used click and collect many times and I am wondering why he would even bother going to the self scan check out with it. To collect it you need your receipt before they give it to you. Not quite getting this scenario tbh.
  • No, they did not give a reason for not giving a refund. I emailed my husband the click and collect confirmation email which contained the order number and of course confirmation that it had already been paid for but he still decided to put it through the self-service check-out. I would have thought that Tesco would be able to give me a refund on the basis that they can see from my credit card statement that the item has been purchased twice and also, the item is not stocked at the local store so could only be purchased via click and collect. Any more advice???
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry op I'm lost on this one, you need to find out why they are refusing the refund, they may see something you don't but you need to know what.

Like me they may be puzzled as to why someone would pick up a obviously paid for item then take it to a self scan till. The only thing I can think of is that the second amount doesn't marry up to the product or it just shows an amount with no details so that could be anything.

You need to ask what it relates to, Tesco are usually very good, there must be a reason that you should find out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure