copyright violation

Options
I am in the process of taking a contractor to the small claims court for a unit which was unfit for purpose. I have only just filled in teh online form so I don't know how long it will take to get through the system. Doing research on the person and looking at his facebook page, which has his business name, I notice that almost all of the photos that he has listed have been taken from the internet, mostly American sites. His facebook invites you to ask him for the price of these items. These items are not his, never have been, and is misleading as you are led to believe that they are his to sell. I gues it will be too late to add this to the court papers, but surely there must be some way that I can bring this to the attention of the judge? Any help please? Thanks.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If he can source those items then it's not misleading is it ?

What does it prove ?
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • kitz123
    kitz123 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    They are taken from Etsy and Pinterest which are one off designs. They have the makers listed and the price they are charging. He has copied the photos and listed them as his own work.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That has nothing to do with you, concentrate on your own case as the judge doesn't care about anything else not related to the case.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    This is irrelevant to your claim - he is not infringing your copyright.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Stick to your original claim.

Everything else you have mentioned is irrelevant to your issue and probably wont go down very well with the judge.

The most you can do it contact pine ineterst and etsy and give them the heads up.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree, it's a different issue with no bearing on your case

All you can do is tell the original owners of the work and let them deal with it
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • kitz123
    Options
    I am not altogether sure if it has nothing to do with me. He made me something which is of very poor standard. He asked me to look at his facebook to see what great stuff he makes. I saw the items and contracted him to make a unit. It turns out that he did not make the things on his Facebook page, therefore i was misled into thinking he was making items of a high standard.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    kitz123 wrote: »
    I am not altogether sure if it has nothing to do with me. He made me something which is of very poor standard. He asked me to look at his facebook to see what great stuff he makes. I saw the items and contracted him to make a unit. It turns out that he did not make the things on his Facebook page, therefore i was misled into thinking he was making items of a high standard.

Then you can show a picture of the work and say 'this is the standard of work he advertises, the work produced for me is of a much lower standard'. Copyright is still not relevant.
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Can you post pics. of what he was selling and what you actually got?
  • kitz123
    Options
    I have pictures taken by an indepenent surveyor who deems his work for me to be wholly inadequate. I will give this to the judge. I just think that had I known that the items in the photos were not his, I would not have contracted him. Is it acceptable to copy someones photos and put them up as your own work? Thank you for replying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure