Repair company broke phone and cannot fix it

Options
Hi,

I broke my iPhone 5s screen on Wednesday and paid £90 a third party repair. The following day, I took the screen protector off and noticed that the screen they had used had scratches all over it (despite being told it was a new genuine apple screen).

I complained and they told me apple screens all had scratches in because they didn't come with covers (suspicious I know, but I had already handed over £90 and just wanted a new screen). So they gave me a £10 refund and replaced it with a supposedly cheaper screen with no scratches.

When I left the shop, I realised the Touch ID element used to unlock the screen was no longer working. I went back this morning to complain, and they said they would take no responsibility for this and could not fix it. They offered to replace the screen with an apple screen so I could go to apple and claim it was a problem with the touch ID and get a new phone. I said no, it was not apple's fault or responsibility. So I have now had the original broken screen put back on the phone, and a full refund for the screen. The reason I bought the phone was for the touch ID element which they have broken - am I entitled to anything, and does anyone know which the best organisation to complain to?

Any help gratefully received.

(Just in case anyone is wondering - I would have preferred to have gone to an Apple store but the nearest one is a 40 minute drive and I need my phone for work)

Thank you,

K

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have proof that they were negligent and that it wasnt (for example) down to the replacement screen or already broken/damaged due to the screen damage?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Backporchpoet
    Options
    Thanks for your reply - Other than the fact they admitted it worked when I first went in, and after the first repair but that's all. They haven't denied breaking it, but their attitude is 'it happens sometimes with screen repairs'. Had they warned me of that I wouldn't have had it done there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure