Can Ebay Effect My Credit File?

Options
I got an email from a debt collection agency who've been trying to track me down due to unpaid ebay fee's from last year, the reason they never got hold of me via letter is I'm no longer at the address my old ebay account was registered at.

If I remember correctly the fee's were due to a customer charge back that I strongly disagreed with, I believe this was for £300 (approx)

Without getting into the ins and outs of the fee's, will this affect my credit file?

I checked my experian report and nothing is on this from ebay.

Can ebay place a default on my credit file?

Thanks

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Potentially yes.

Walking away does not mean that the problem disappears.
  • antonymp
    antonymp Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    brydenn wrote: »
    I got an email from a debt collection agency who've been trying to track me down due to unpaid ebay fee's from last year, the reason they never got hold of me via letter is I'm no longer at the address my old ebay account was registered at.

If I remember correctly the fee's were due to a customer charge back that I strongly disagreed with, I believe this was for £300 (approx)

Without getting into the ins and outs of the fee's, will this affect my credit file?

I checked my experian report and nothing is on this from ebay.

Can ebay place a default on my credit file?

Thanks

No ebay cannot place a default on your credit file, as they are not a credit provider.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    They will have to take you to court first. For 300 pounds, they just might do that but the DCA has no powers to collect prior to any court hearing. If you tell them the debt is in dispute, they should pass it back to ebay.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    If you tell them the debt is in dispute, they should pass it back to ebay.

I know this is going off at a bit of a tangent...

But if it relates to a chargeback, the dispute is more likely with the buyer who requested the chargeback, not with eBay.

(When the disputed chargeback occured, if eBay refused to help, one possible route would have been to make a claim against the buyer in the small claims court.)

I suspect that eBay are doing what it says they can do in their contract, so there are probably no valid grounds for a dispute.
  • SootyUK
    SootyUK Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    antonymp wrote: »
    No ebay cannot place a default on your credit file, as they are not a credit provider.

The only way they can is if they take you to court in which case you will also get a CCJ.
    To be honest unless your taking about thousands it is not likely that they will do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure