HELP PLEASE I am worried

Options
please any advice i am really worried i have been having a live chat with a myvesta advisor and she tells me my bankruptcy can be refused as i have only missed one payment,but i have only missed one payment as i have lived off nothing,im worried now,is the judge likely to ask.
on the question from what date have you had trouble paying your debts?
i don't know what to put as it has been for a long time but but only really
just reallised will it look bad if i have used credit or taken out another card after i knew i was having trouble but was just about managing,when you are in trouble it takes a while to realise it please help i am in court on thursday and have spent all day doing my forms.
thanks
lisa

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lisa

Have you taken independant advice from CAb, CCCs or Payplan or National Debtline?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Right up until the point I went bankrupt, I never missed a payment on anything but I was living off credit cards to quite an extent which masked how bad it was. Quite clearly from my SOA, my income was way below my monthly expenditure.

Regarding the question "From what date have you had trouble paying your debts", I'd put from the time your income was no longer sufficient to cover your basic living expenses and the repayments - in other words when you started to "HAVE" to do your shopping on the plastic for example.
  • lisahelp
    lisahelp Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    yes ,National debtline advised bancruptcy,a debt managment plan would take over 15 years
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Then stop worrying. You tell the judge what national debtline advised.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I just have to confirm that the Myvesta advisor is talking a load of bull !!!!!!.:mad:

I have heard of them giving bad and ill informed advice before.

As Conor has indicated the "when did you first have difficulties" question and the issue of having had to live of credit are nothing to worry about. The OR will have seen hundreds of people in similar circumstances to yours, who have in good faith done the things that you have done in order to cope and survive.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • lisahelp
    lisahelp Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all replies,this really worried me,i am a real worrier anyway and think everthing through far too much,im really nervous about going to court
  • uther_2
    uther_2 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    Don't be worried about going to court,our judge was very friendly and understanding.Its not like you are on trial for commiting a crime.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Lisa - 'missing payments' is NOT a pre-requisite for bankruptcy.
    You HAVE recognised that you have a problem and you are taking action as reccomended by National Debtline, who are one of the recognised Debt Counselling Charities.
    Whilst Myvesta have given good advice to other people - I think that they are wrong in your case.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    They are right in the fact that you can be refused bankruptsy but it's very unlikely to happen, I've not heard of a case failing.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• mushroom1982
    Options
    hi lisahelp

I went on to the myvesta website recently when I was looking at different options and it was apparent that they were more interested in making money then actually helping people. As soon as I viewed the website a pop with an adviser trying to talk to me and basically agree to an IVA was on the screen. For this reason I believe they are out to make money only and would advise you talk to a different organisation. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure