Credit Rating

Options
Hi
I exceeded my credit card limit on a number of occasions but still paid for ALL purchases at the end of EVERY month in FULL (direct debit). I have an Experian Report that for some reason has NOT recorded the fact that I have a credit card. Does this mean ALL lenders will NOT be able to see my credit card defaults (since Experian can NOT find the details)

Comments

• The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2014 at 9:23PM
    Options
    First up, you don't have a credit rating.

When did you open this credit card?
    Have you changed address recently or live in an address with a flat/house number and a separate line for the number and street?
    What other accounts are showing on your Experian file? Depending on your response it might be worse for you that it's not showing.

Lenders will not be able to see this either if they search Experian. You should check to see whether it is showing on your Equifax and Noddle files too as if it is there then lenders that search using these CRAs will see it (Noddle is used by very few though).

Going over limit will result in charges but these will not be seen as late payments on your credit file when this is eventually added, assuming the direct debit has always been in place? This therefore will not affect your credit worthiness
  • Guy4555
    Options
    Hi
    I have been at my present address for 15 years. I have held my credit card account for approximately 13 years. My mortgage account, an argos store card (which was paid off back in early 2000's) and another loan account (which was paid off back in the early 2000's)
    The direct debit has ALWAYS been in place
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aha - think we have the answer there. Old accounts earlier than a certain date are not reported because back then there was no agreement/obligation for them to be reported on credit files - I have a credit card and bank account with overdraft opened in 2000 that are not reported for example so I think the same has applied to you. It could be for this reason it's not showing.

Bit annoying as the mortgage won't show either and I doubt the Argos card will.

Check your Experian and Noddle files and if the credit card is not showing there then it's the age of the account that is behind it not being reported.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Most likely it will appear on one of your other credit files. There is a small chance it will not appear on any.

If you are thinking of applying for credit then it would be worth checking the other 2 credit reference agencies to see if it is, and how the overlimits have been reflected on file.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Guy4555
    Options
    Hi
    I'm just after checking with the other two credit reference agencies and the credit card is NOT recorded on their records either. It must be the age of the account that has caused this. Although my mortgage account appears on both Equifax and Noodle (and it is 15 years old). The argos account does NOT appear on Equifax or Noddle. Strange one!
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you contact the lenders who aren't currently registering data about your accounts on your credit reports they are likely to be able to begin doing this for you if you request it.

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Guy4555
    Options
    Hi
    I'm just after applying for a loan and have been successful, however I will have to pay double the APR. If I was to search ANOTHER lender, would that affect my credit score further
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure