John Lewis Warranty: Proof of Purchase

Options
Not sure if this is the correct forum for my query but here goes anyway.

I purchased an iPad from a forum's classifieds this week. In the listing the seller said he would include a VAT receipt for warranty purposes. What has actually come is a delivery note.

My question is, will John Lewis accept this as proof of warranty eligibility or do I need the actual receipt?

(I would phone JL to ask but the website states the call centre is "having difficulties:()

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't comment on this case, but the delivery note (actually the order number from it) was all I needed when claiming on the warranty of my GTech AirRam. However, this was a direct from manufacturer sale and I had online registered the item, when I received it
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends what the terms and conditions of the warranty state. Will also depend on whether they allow warranties to be transferred.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Beancounter
    Beancounter Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    Depends what the terms and conditions of the warranty state. Will also depend on whether they allow warranties to be transferred.

The JL site does state the warranty is transferable, it's just the delivery note situation I am concerned about.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The JL site does state the warranty is transferable, it's just the delivery note situation I am concerned about.
    As a warranty is in addition to any statutory rights, John Lewis can specify what documentation they require.

On the other hand if you are really enquiring about the manufacturer's warranty, you will need to ask Apple what documentation they require before they will accept an item for service under their warranty.
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The delivery note will have the order number on it. However, to find out the purchase price (Which may be needed) and other purchase details on the JL site you need to know the order number, the buyer's surname and their postcode.

If you can provide all of those you should be fine, but I believe the delivery note only shows the delivery date, not the purchase date, which may make a difference.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    from JL 's terms and conditions re JL warranty

During the guarantee period, if your product develops a fault that needs to be repaired, look for visible signs of the breakdown and consult the fault-finding guide in the manufacturer's handbook, if any.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please contact your local John Lewis shop and talk to one of our Partners. You’ll need to provide us with details of your item, including the model number and date of purchase. You’ll find all of this information on our original receipt – this acts as your guarantee, so please make sure you keep it safe.

If we can’t repair your item, we’ll replace it with an item of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available we‘ll discuss an alternative settlement with you, and we’ll always do our best to make sure that you’re satisfied with the outcome.
  • Beancounter
    Beancounter Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    I have managed to get a copy of the receipt of the seller, problem now is that the warranty was for 2 years and not the 3 he had lead me to believe.

Not sure I have any comeback on that one though, might just have to chalk it up to experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure