wrong identity

Options
A person with a similar name to me is registered under my name in my credit ratings, he has bad debts, he also has the same birth date as me but he has a different middle name, his bad credit rating have been registered under my name. What do I have to do to remove his name and bad debts from my credit rating details, this is the second time I have discovered this person registered under my name.

Comments

• roobee13
    roobee13 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Hi OP,

Is this on Experian or Equifax? I've not used Equifax yet but on Experian they have 'contact us' or 'riase dispute' buttons where you can inform then the info is wrong. I think they also might have an 'incorrect identity' tab but don't quote me on that one...

You could also apply for financial disassociation (under the associations tab) which might stop it happening in future?

I don't know what department you would need but you might also want to log a report with the police. It might sound a bit much but you don't know if this other person is genuinely trying to use your details.

To be honest, it is poor form that CRAs can't distinguish between 2 people! Have you got a fairly common name by any chance? If you share the same bank or lender somewhere along the line that might be where the problem arose. I would also contact any mutual lenders so there is something recorded with them too.

Hope it helps!
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ashfield

Sorry to hear about this. If you'd like to send us details ([EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]uksocialsupport@experian.com[/EMAIL]) we'll get right on it for you.

Thanks
    James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    The link/alias may well have been created by a debt collection agency in error.

I would check all 3 of your credit files (experian,equifax and callcredit/noddle) to see if the error appears on all. Then if you contact the credit reference agencies they should be able to investigate and remove the entries.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • s1tu
    s1tu Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    We discovered exactly the same problem last year when applying for a mortgage (incorrect entries on credit files from someone with same name & date of birth, different middle name). It was a right mess with incorrect linked addresses, financial associations, defaulted accounts, CCJs and all sorts. It was a nightmare to get it all corrected, the credit reference agencies didn't really take much responsibility and advised us to contact the companies directly ourselves to get the defaulted accounts removed (which is another story...)

Anyway all now sorted, or so we thought, until 6 months later and letters from debt collection agencies have started arriving at our new address addressed to this 'wrong' person. They can only have got our information from one place - incorrect trace enquiries with the credit reference agencies. How can they be allowed to let this happen?

I usually ring the number on these letters and tell them they have the wrong person but some of them don't believe you or can be quite rude. I fear it's only a matter of time before one of them creates another wrong entry on our file without us knowing - again, how can the credit reference agencies let this happen??! I shouldn't have to be checking our files every 6 months for other companies bad data.

The whole thing drives me quite mad and I am thinking I'll have to complain directly to the credit reference agencies to see what they can do about this. What else can be done to stop it happening?
  • ashfield
    Options
    Thank you for all your helpful reply's, unfortunately you have to pay to login to these credit referencing agencies websites after the free time period, so perhaps every 12 months or so when you want to check your report you have to pay a premium, this cannot be right can it? I need to make sure that no one has been falsely associated with my name, this "should be free" with no question?

ashfield.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ashfield

Thank you for your email, I have now responded to you, I hope this helps you when viewing your Experian Credit Report.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
    Have a good Bank Holiday,

Regards
    James Jarvis
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport