Bowls Trolleys

Options
whemac
whemac Posts: 3 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 August 2014 at 9:50PM in Consumer rights
Would be interested to know if any fellow lawn bowlers have purchased an Emsmorn Classic Bowls Trolley. Three members of my club, including myself, have done so and the rivets on the carrying handles failed within one to two years of purchase The trolleys cost between 55 to 65 pounds. The problem is the the rivet heads are too small for the casing which thus gives way. I have contacted Emsmorn both directly and via the retailer but they have deigned not to reply. Should both rivets give way together on either one of the two carrying handles there could be danger of injury (bowls are quite heavy items).
I cannot believe we are the only unlucky purchasers.

Comments

• daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know a thing about bowls or trolleys but I do know a bit about the law...

1-2 years they developed a problem and you think that it was because they were too small...

Steps;

1. Contact manuacturer and see what they can do

2. Contact the seller and see what they can do

3. Get a report which shows that this was an inherent issue

4. Go back to the seller and show them the report and ask 4 a resolution under Sales o Goods Act.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 August 2014 at 10:36PM
    Options
    Who was the the retailer?
    You could ring emsmorn ?
    Emsmorns t & c s say this- I don't understand it , personally .

All images, descriptive matter, specifications and advertising are for the sole purpose of giving an approximate description of the goods. Except where the Customer is dealing as a consumer (as defined in the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, section 12) all other warranties, conditions or terms relating to fitness for purpose, merchantability or conditions of the goods whether implied by Statute, Common Law or otherwise are excluded and the Customer warrants that the Customer is satisfied as to the suitability of the Goods for the Customer's purpose. Goods are not sold on a trial basis.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Who was the the retailer?
    You could ring emsmorn ?
    Emsmorns t & c s say this- I don't understand it , personally .

All images, descriptive matter, specifications and advertising are for the sole purpose of giving an approximate description of the goods. Except where the Customer is dealing as a consumer (as defined in the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, section 12) all other warranties, conditions or terms relating to fitness for purpose, merchantability or conditions of the goods whether implied by Statute, Common Law or otherwise are excluded and the Customer warrants that the Customer is satisfied as to the suitability of the Goods for the Customer's purpose. Goods are not sold on a trial basis.

It makes a difference whether goods are bought by a consumer or a business. They are excluding all liabilities if the goods are bought by a business.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • hollydays
    Options
    I know it makes a difference but those terms are not well written. Who starts a sentence with " except"
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 August 2014 at 10:46AM
    Options
    I'd simply replace the rivets (or if possible use small nuts and bolts)

Rivet gun inc rivets from ~£6 (split between 3 of you?)

heavy duty are a little more (but probably unnecessary)

* Items available from other outlets . .
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    I'd simply replace the rivets (or if possible use small nuts and bolts)

Rivet gun inc rivets from ~£6 (split between 3 of you?)

heavy duty are a little more (but probably unnecessary)

* Items available from other outlets . .

Ah the simple solution...that is a good idea. DIY can be the right way to go in some situations I think.
  • hollydays
    Options
    gik wrote: »
    Who asks a question and omits the ? at the end of the sentence? :D

Someone with an injury that makes typing difficult..
  • whemac
    Options
    Thanks to all for suggestions re trolley bag. I have already repaired the rivet that failed by replacing with bolt and washer. However prior to failure it is rather difficult to cut the rivet head off without damaging the inside material so have to wait for further failures (there are four rivets in all). Re-riveting not an option because have not found any rivet heads of suitable diameter without going to a shipyard. Bolt and washers are fine but washers need to be about 3/4 inch because of the casing weakness. Have advised Emsmorn of all this but didn't have courtesy to reply. Didn't expect a new bag but would like to warn any fellow bowlers not to purchase same until Emsmorn redesign. Potential customers should not themselves have to redesign what Emsmorn sell as 'robust' bags. Have also since discovered there are far stronger luggage trolleys on market for a quarter of the price that could be employed.
    Thank you one and all.
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Someone with an injury that makes typing difficult..

That could be an excuse...
  • hollydays
    Options
    gik wrote: »
    That could be an excuse...

I don't need to justify my health issues to anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure