Topshop broken shoes

Options
I've owned a pair of topshop shoes for 3 weeks and having only worn them twice the stitching has come away meaning the strap is no longer connected. I've been in to my local store but the unhelpful assistant said there was nothing she could do because I'd worn them. I have the receipt and it's valid until 23/8 so I wondered where I stand with this?

I've tried to contact customer service but they said I should take them to another store and try there. (My next closest store is over 1/2 hour away) so don't see why that should be the solution surely it should be an across the board policy?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Covered by the sale of goods act.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54/contents
    48AIntroductory

(1)This section applies if—
    (a)the buyer deals as consumer or, in Scotland, there is a consumer contract in which the buyer is a consumer, and
    (b)the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery.
    (2)If this section applies, the buyer has the right—
    (a)under and in accordance with section 48B below, to require the seller to repair or replace the goods, or
    (b)under and in accordance with section 48C below—
    (i)to require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or
    (ii)to rescind the contract with regard to the goods in question.
    (3)For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered to the buyer must be taken not to have so conformed at that date.
    (4)Subsection (3) above does not apply if—
    (a)it is established that the goods did so conform at that date;
    (b)its application is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity.

Basically if acceptance hasnt occurred, you can demand a full refund. If acceptance has occurred then you can request a repair, replacement or refund (which can be partial to take into account use you have had of the goods) however the retailer can refuse if disproportionately costly in comparison to another remedy.

You can either try the store you bought them from - perhaps either printing out the legislation/mse's consumer rights wallet guide and/or speaking to a manager. Or you can try another store. Its really up to you how you want to proceed.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should speak to the manager if the assistant is unable to help, they have much more power.
  • lc1976
    lc1976 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I had so e boots from Topshop, the heel fell off and I got them exchanged even though I'd worn them.

I would complain to the manager of the store.
  • bubblegumcola
    bubblegumcola Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like an inexperienced sales assistant who dealt with you. Shoes are meant to be worn but they are faulty so not fit for the purpose of wearing on your feet. The assistant telling you that they couldn't be returned because they have been worn is rediculous.

Go back and speak to a supervisor or manager. Clearly a sales assistant who needs more training.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure