🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Supermarkets to cut fuel prices ahead of the August bank holiday

Options

Comments

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kandatoo wrote: »
    Where's that, if you don't mind me asking?
    Taiwan. The prices are controlled by the government, too, so the NT$34.6/L (69p) I pay will be the same regardless of the petrol station I use.

Usually you get a gift such as two free boxes of tissues if you fill up (about £16 for me, once a week), but I've found a station that gives two boxes of tissues AND three bottles of some Red Bull-type stuff! So no more tissues or toilet paper go on the shopping list, and I don't need to worry about investing in a large pension because that Red Bull stuff will kill me long before then. Win-win!

I'll most likely be in Canada next, where the price/litre seems to be about 65p. :beer:

(Anyone in the UK feeling bad about petrol prices should take a look at Turkey!)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that Red Bull stuff will kill me long before then

Or you could use it to run the car on for another couple of days :D
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    Has anyone reclaimed costs from the cartel, where they've filled up in advance of the price "cut" announcement and thus overpaid?

Perhaps MSE should publish a guide?
    Maybe you could go back to your boss and ask for unpaid wages on the basis that you were paid less before you had a pay rise?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Maybe you could go back to your boss and ask for unpaid wages on the basis that you were paid less before you had a pay rise?
    Comparing apples and oranges...
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2014 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Well that didn't last long...

I noticed early this week that Asda had notched up the price of a litre (and where Asda have, then all other local supermarkets and filling stations in the area also have).
    Having said that, not every Asda has increased the price, but their national price cap has obviously gone up since this article.

Or are we due another amazing supermarket deal in the next week or so when they will once again slash the prices of fuel for the hard pressed Great British Public? :cool:
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,686 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pooch wrote: »
    Well that didn't last long...

I noticed early this week that Asda had notched up the price of a litre (and where Asda have, then all other local supermarkets and filling stations in the area also have).
    Having said that, not every Asda has increased the price, but their national bottom line price has obviously gone up since this article.

Or are we due another amazing supermarket deal in the next week or so when they will once again slash the prices of fuel for the hard pressed Great British Public? :cool:

Not happened round us.

Prices are still a lot lower than before summer holidays.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Not happened round us...

May I ask where you are?

I drive around a lot and have seen these changes across the land e.g. at Cheltenham in the West and Colchester in the East.
    (But as I also said, it's not at all Asda stores)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    +1p at Asda here.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    +1p Increase at Tescos here (now 126.9/Litre)
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    I don't take a lot of notice too often to be honest, if the car needs fuel, it needs fuel, but at Sainsbury's in York last night I think it was 124 a litre for regular unleaded
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport