IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parking Eye issue 17k court claims

Options

Comments

• Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was there not a post on here last week or so, where PE never turned up and there was another one where they never turned up, but neither did the defendant so PE got a default win.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Parking Eye could be deemed vexatious by judges when judges wake up to the fact that this company lies through their teeth in court, the CoA of Beavis could be the wake up call should it be won by him. The point though is that they are not going to court that many times , I doubt whether it gets to court in more than 15%-20% of the time, the courtlist suggests that
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • andy_foster
    andy_foster Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2014 at 2:51PM
    Options
    A vexatious litigant is one who repeatedly issues claims which are totally devoid of legal merit.

If we apply HHJ Moloney QCs correct finding that without intellectual dishonesty it is impossible to say that the charge is not a penalty, with the basic public policy principle that penalties are unenforceable under contract law, all such claims are totally devoid of legal merit.

Whether or not PE routinely lie (and I can understand why people say that they do) is broadly speaking a separate issue.

edit:
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part03/pd_part03c
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Bumping this so people can see ParkingEye's notoriety and can complain to their MP and the Dept for Transport that the BPA's lies (during the reading of the Bill) about the number of court claims have resulted in this routine hounding of the public, with court case numbers not being reduced by POFA 2012 but escalating obscenely.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    I thought all these court cases failed as the tickets were just unenforceable invoices.

If that is the case the only losers are the parking companies.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 August 2014 at 12:22AM
    Options
    Bantex wrote: »
    I thought all these court cases failed as the tickets were just unenforceable invoices.

If that is the case the only losers are the parking companies.

yeah right

and strange as it may seem , I have just seen elvis working down our local chip shop too

one of many examples to test your theory below

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035324

or this newpaper article

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Parking-company-director-phased-trips-court/story-20935058-detail/story.html
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's what, 83 claims a day? There's no way the are capable of attending them all, so surely that means they are obviously only doing it to scare people into paying (I can't remember the correct term).
  • ColliesCarer
    ColliesCarer Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    That's what, 83 claims a day? There's no way the are capable of attending them all, so surely that means they are obviously only doing it to scare people into paying (I can't remember the correct term).

Not every claim they issue results in a hearing. Many people ignore the claim and then P E win by default. Others pay up. Also P E rarely attend themselves and use a legal rep instead

Maybe the term you're looking for is coercion?
    i.e. the action or practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.

synonyms for which are:
    force, compulsion, constraint, duress, oppression, enforcement, harassment, intimidation, threats, insistence, demand, arm-twisting, pressure, pressurization, influence
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't forget that for each claim issued, the fragrant Rachel claims £50 for a "solicitors fee", even though she presumably receives a salary from PE. £50 times 17,000 means she is claiming a potential £850,000.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not every claim they issue results in a hearing. Many people ignore the claim and then P E win by default. Others pay up. Also P E rarely attend themselves and use a legal rep instead ...
    Of those ~17,000 claims, fewer than 2,000 will see the inside of a courtroom.

So about 8-10 a day, for which PE never turn up themselves, they use the national network of advocates supplied by LPC Law, who charge PE around £250 per hearing.

As the claims are almost always for under £200, and only in very rare cases are full costs awarded to the claimant, that means that with court fees, PE are losing around £100 for every case they win, and £400+ for every one they lose.

If somebody went on Dragons' Den asking for investment in a that kind of business model, what would Duncan Bannatyne say?

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport