does dad really need a will ?

Options

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes Dad should have a will. So, probably, should you (OP)!!!

We finally (me 60 wife 55) got round to doing one recently and the (simple) mirror will pair came in surprisingly cheap with a local Solicitor (recommended to us)... I thought the figure quoted was for each of us.

So do ring round a few and seek recommendations.
  • fairview
    fairview Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    When I was sorting out Mum`s home insurance, I included legal advice for about £20 extra. They had a template for a simple will, which cost nothing, and they checked it was correctly filled out. Just had to get her signiture witnessed by two other prople.
  • janiebquick
    Options
    Everyone needs to make a will. If you want to know why, make sure you watch a wonderful little programme often on TV in the daytime called 'Heir hunters'. You will see exactly what problems can be caused if you don't.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Get your father to make a will it will be a lot easier for you, the post office sell a pro forms will, which is straightforward, also as previous poster has said some charities provide a will drafting service free.
    I am currently in the process of looking after the affairs of a distant relative who died intestate, and I have taken out letters of administration from the probate service.
    My relative did not have any property to sell, and his total assets were less than £25k but I found nearly all banks etc asked for a copy of the death cert and copy of letters of administration.
    The only exception was with a building soc. Where he had only £500 and they accepted copy of death cert and proof of my relationship with the deceased.
  • gele
    gele Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Dad is going to do a will either during free wills month in October or before. in the meantime while reading up on here and elsewhere I found out that 'which' the consumer people are doing discounted wills single and mirror til 31st aug so myself and hubby are going to try to sort one during this offer period.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is a sensitive subject for many families. Is your father totally incapable of deciding who to leave his estate to.? Does he really need suggestions as to who should and who should not get all or part of his estate?
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    This is a sensitive subject for many families. Is your father totally incapable of deciding who to leave his estate to.? Does he really need suggestions as to who should and who should not get all or part of his estate?

Who said he did not know what he wanted? The OP seemed more about the best way of dealing with it.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bantex wrote: »
    Who said he did not know what he wanted? The OP seemed more about the best way of dealing with it.

Really. Have a look at the title of the thread.
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    Really. Have a look at the title of the thread.
    He apperently knows exactly where he wants his money to go, just wanted to know if a will was the best way of achieving this.
  • janiebquick
    Options
    Everyone needs a will.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure