1&1 bill for domains I didn't order

Options
On 1 August I tested availability of a domain while I was in my 1&1 customer panel. On 7 August I received a bill saying payment would be taken for 4 domains. I emailed them to say I had not placed the order and cancelled my credit card on their site before they could take the money.

I don't recall proceeding with an order after I tested availability but 1&1 are insisting that I did and are making me doubt myself. They say that when you are in the customer panel it's not a tool for testing availability. Ultimately I could accept that perhaps I had ordered that one domain but I am being billed on the same bill for 3 other domain endings that I totally know I would not have ordered. I am arguing it with them but getting nowhere.

I've read the threads on 1&1 and automatic renewals/use of Arvato for debt collection but has anyone else had a similar problem to me, or does anyone have any advice.

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    Never trusted 1&1 but certainly with 123-reg who I use if you do search for a domain it automatically searches for other TLDs and defaults to include the one you searched for plus a couple of others.

Thankfully with 123-reg when you click through they provide a list of the ones you've selected and you've got to click a 2nd time to commit to buy as I have been caught out by the auto opt in for the others. Perhaps 1&1 have a similar automatic process of defaulting in other TLDs
  • mightymousey
    mightymousey Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2014 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Yes thinking it must have been something like that that happened but if so not sure why it would have only been 3 other domain endings but furthermore I wouldn't have proceeded with the order.

I can't even check how the 1and1 system works as I'm simply too scared that they'll then say that I've ordered something else that I don't want!
  • mightymousey
    Options
    Can anyone who has been pursued by 1&1 for non payment tell me if the debt collection agency eventually took it to court or not?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure