MSE News: Beware cold callers pretending to be from MoneySavingExpert.com

"Users have alerted us to phone conversations they've had with callers purporting to be from MoneySavingExpert.com "...
Read the full story:

Beware cold callers pretending to be from MoneySavingExpert.com

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Go after them MSE!!:T

Nail their wotsits to the wall.:D
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • katejokatejo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your advice to help avoid such calls is pretty useless. The TPS has no teeth at all. Cold callers ignore them or claim to not be cold callers. It is impossible to report the number as it is usually not released. My home phone number is ex directory and has a message to say that I never answer the phone if no number is provided. I still get occasional calls though not this one. I would either not answer or tell them to !!!! off if I happened to answer.
  • ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    katejo wrote: »
    The TPS has no teeth at all. Cold callers ignore them or claim to not be cold callers.
    Yes, seems like everybody's stopped flogging stuff in favour of conducting surveys...

TPS was pretty good for the first few years - I can only assume that they haven't been cracking down as hard as they first promised. Had a quick google to see if there were any stats on prosecutions/fines, but seems to be more guff about 'TPS is coming to get you' than actual results (2 or 3 companies fined... after several thousand complaints).
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helen, I've got a question about this part (emphasis mine):
    However, this won't stop all calls, so if you still get them, write down the number of any unwanted callers and then submit a complaint to the regulator PhonepayPlus to get it blocked.

Is that the right regulator? PhonepayPlus is for premium rate services, I thought the TPS was monitored by the Information Commissioners Office (ICO)?
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE don't have your phone numbers anyway!

If these muppets ring me I tell them to f off.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone is interested, Channel 4 Dispatches next Monday 8pm is doing a feature on cold calling.

I propose we have a Guy Fawkes Night/Halloween type cultural burning of the cold caller effigy. Let's make it so socially unacceptable that anyone confessing to working as a cold caller will be socially shunned. Worse than a traffic warden.

On Cold Caller Night, people will dress up as some sort of ghostly apparition, and go round ringing door bells and run away. You would open the door and find no one there.
    In a thousand years time, people will do this on distant planets, and remember how it was before they introduced the death penalty for organised silent calls.
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG. Please do not bring All Saints eve into this
  • bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »
    I propose we have a Guy Fawkes Night/Halloween type cultural burning of the cold caller effigy.

Why not go a step further and have The Purge, where cold callers are legitimate targets? :D
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Why not go a step further and have The Purge, where cold callers are legitimate targets? :D

I would use drones to make surgical strikes on call centres, but am afraid of collateral damage.
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    why oh why do people still fall for cold calls.

its one of the oldest con tricks out there and yet it still appears to be big business.

i have just one simple piece of advice for everyone.

if they have rang you claiming to be whoever they say they are, just hang up the phone. don't waste your time on them.

just giving them a few precious seconds of their time still encourages them.

if everyone did this after a while the cold calling industry would vanish.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion