Christmas shopping so far..budgets etc

so apparently this week i have started thinking about christmas...
yes im aware its august but u have 30 people to buy for and a tight budget! so went through what u have already brought...

3 x scarves from newlook @£1 each was £10/each - in jan sales - will go to my 3 sisters in laws

a hot sauce gift set - was £3.99 got for £1.99 - for my brother

a few baking bits all reduced as doing baking hampers for the 7 children in my family.

a latte set for £1.49 - for my sister

a vintage style necklace 99p (worth about £6) for my niece

2 x onesies was £11 brought for £2.50/each for my nephews

think thats it so far will be workingmy budgets later so can keep on top of my spending.... hows everyone else doing?

i cant just be me thats already started?:rotfl:
Savings £2000
Emergency fund £200
Credit card  £600
Christmas savings 0

Replies

• I've started. My eldest 2 want Nintendo 3ds each so I used clu card boost and another voucher I had to get £115 off them. So spent £158 so far. Won't do anymore till October now unless I see anything good on sale
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Come on over to the Christmas thread lots of Christmas enthusiasts[nuts] on there.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4853442
  • katsukatsu Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I shop all year round always, so have pressie boxes for collecting my stash.Got a vintage decoration for the MIL for £10 in a CS yesterday (will either love it or hate it;)). Also have bits put aside for DM and DB, again sale bits, CS or car booty. Making a hobby hamper for DM so will be nearly all bargains and trying to do better with DB than last year! So far one full price expensive thing for DB's birthday picked up and no idea for DF Xmas or birthday!

I try and spend under £200 on Christmas for everyone, including DH's wider family. Will be doing my best to keep costs down as I have a big party next year to fund!
    Debt at highest: £8k :eek: Debt Free 31/12/2009 :D (ten years and counting :j). Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018. Save £12k in 2020 member #41
  • jemtomjemtom Forumite
    350 Posts
    I shop all year round in the sales 2 of my nephews and my 2 nieces are done just have my ds 2 more nephews then the adults have started on my mum&dad auntie&uncle mil&fil still to go are 3 couples and my db who I'm thinking of doing a gym hamper for and the couples are getting photo frames with pics in. Everyone else on the list will have biscuits or wine. My mum and dad want lamps for there main present and ds is getting a kinect. My present box is pretty full so need to start sorting what's for who
  • jemtomjemtom Forumite
    350 Posts
    amysb86 wrote: »
    so apparently this week i have started thinking about christmas...
    yes im aware its august but u have 30 people to buy for and a tight budget! so went through what u have already brought...

think thats it so far will be workingmy budgets later so can keep on top of my spending.... hows everyone else doing?

i cant just be me thats already started?:rotfl:

Nope I start from December the year before because I'm usually done and end up buying when they start the sales :rotfl: I have spreadsheet and notebook (for when I'm out and about) budget for everyone and try my very best to stick to it. I love Christmas and because I start so early getting things on offer get to spoil all the little people rotten :)
  • I start in jan, using the boots sale to start. So far picked up kids pjs, smellies, some console games. Aftershave and some stocking bits. Made a start but I really get stuck in once kids go back to school in September.
    'There are far better things ahead Than any we leave behind '
  • ALittleInLoveALittleInLove Forumite
    113 Posts
    Forumite
    I pick things up throughout the year.

Got a few bits of jewelry from Dotcom gift shop.

Got some £3.75 dresses for my sister from Miss Rebel (She is pregnant so they will work as maxi/maternity dresses).

I'm always on the look out for cheap yankee candle for my nan cos it's the only things she likes and I always do a tea hamper for my uncle so pick up bits all year round. Oh and a sweet hamper for my sister so lots of 5p sweets from home bargains :)

To be honest i have more problem stopping buying presents come October when I've spent all the money!
  • Hi AlittlebitinLove...was in clintons cards yesterday and they had a sale om yankee candles.. :0)
    I have nephews in Oz to send gifts over and need to get them posted by sea-post (cheaper than airmail) at the begining of Sept to make sure they arrive in time for chrimble!!
  • ALittleInLoveALittleInLove Forumite
    113 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks ACJ i will take a look!

I also got a bargain £4 Dressing gown for my boyfriend and brother-in-law from Matalan. Lovely dark grey and free click and collect to store :)
  • stokegalstokegal Forumite
    933 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I started Christmas shopping this week after reading threads on here. This is my first year without my ex so its just me and DS so I will need to get organised.

I have budgeted the below and realised I need to drastically cut back or tr to be money neutral by sell ing stuff (I also own a little cake decorating business so will be getting orders to raise money)

DS - £300
    Others (11 people) - £250
    Food - £50

Total - £600 with only 4 paydays to go!!!

This is an absolutely impossible amount now I'm on my own so I've started to look at what is already in my Christmas stash and any gift cards / vouchers I've not already used.

So far I've found / bought

Mum - pjs £10 (I had an M&S vouchers for £25) £0 :D
    - opium perfume (Found in Christmas stash) £0 :D

Dad - ???

Step Mum - Necklace £15 (£25) M&S voucher £0 :D

Aunty - Tea Light set (Found in Christmas stash) £0 :D

Nan & Grandad - Photo frame with picture of DS in it (Should have been £13 but had staff discount and a £5 gift voucher) £5.39 :)

I bought 5 x personalised calendars which I will fill with pictures of DS from Groupon £17.50 :)

I'll also be baking 5 christmas cakes and have started to soak the fruit in sherry today - I posted a picture of this on facebook today and got 2 order enquiries about them :j

Ive found plenty of wrapping paper in the attic - just need to hunt out cards now...

So total spend so far (not including fruit cakes) = £22.39

And I have sold an old kinnect and games on facebook for £30 so £7.61 in credit so far :T
    LBM - Oct 2020 - £37500
    Currently - £8409
    77% cleared!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals