Replacing Gas fire to Open fire

Options
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice...

I live in an old semi detached Victorian house (built circa 1900)

I currently have a gas fire (which has been disconnected) and I really want an open fire.

I know I'll need to get a proper grate/fire basket, and I'm getting quotes for a chimney sweep.

But will I need to do anything else? Any info appreciated greatly :)

Thanks.

Comments

• nrbt
    nrbt Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Make sure your chimney is ok and not leaking. If you're running an open fire, you'll not be dropping a liner down and if it's not been used in years it could be in a state.

Have you any idea of the amount of dust these generate and the amount of fuel of you're going to go through?

I rid of the last coal-burner (the Rayburn) in my farmhouse a couple of years ago: no more traipsing through the rain to load up the scuttles. A multi-fuel and a woodburner heat the rest of the house *much* more cheaply than open fires ever did.

If you just want the effect of the flames in an old grate, you can get bioethanol burner which fit in old fashioned fireplace. No flue needed.

(disclosure: we sell bioethanol & woodburners),
  • Benzanna
    Benzanna Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    nrbt wrote: »
    Make sure your chimney is ok and not leaking. If you're running an open fire, you'll not be dropping a liner down and if it's not been used in years it could be in a state.

Have you any idea of the amount of dust these generate and the amount of fuel of you're going to go through?

I rid of the last coal-burner (the Rayburn) in my farmhouse a couple of years ago: no more traipsing through the rain to load up the scuttles. A multi-fuel and a woodburner heat the rest of the house *much* more cheaply than open fires ever did.

If you just want the effect of the flames in an old grate, you can get bioethanol burner which fit in old fashioned fireplace. No flue needed.

(disclosure: we sell bioethanol & woodburners),

Hi,
    I want an open fire for use on special occasions. I already have central heating, but would like a fire for occasional use...
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    If you have had an old gas fire and want to now have a coal one, firstly what size is the opening, where it has been taken out of?

If it is an old house and the fireplace is original, has the firebrick been knocked out of the back of the chamber to fit the gas fire?

If you could post some pictures with what you have at present ( hole wise) and some dimensions, I will be able to guide you a bit better.

It will also be important what hearth you have in situ and its dimensions.
    It may not be as easy as you think it is OP
  • Benzanna
    Options
    rustyboy21 wrote: »
    If you have had an old gas fire and want to now have a coal one, firstly what size is the opening, where it has been taken out of?

If it is an old house and the fireplace is original, has the firebrick been knocked out of the back of the chamber to fit the gas fire?

If you could post some pictures with what you have at present ( hole wise) and some dimensions, I will be able to guide you a bit better.

Thanks! I'll get some photos and post back as soon as I can...
  • Benzanna
    Options

http://i57.tinypic.com/30w5wz9.jpg - front of the fireplace

http://i58.tinypic.com/2whdm4o.jpg - inside the fireplace

http://i62.tinypic.com/30sxdzp.jpg - up the chimney

Thanks so much for your advice and help
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    OK, that makes it a little clearer, you have a class 1 flue , so you are ok for solid fuel. Next step would be to get a HETAS registered sweep in to do a real good clean and do a Proper smoke test on the flue, not just a smoke bomb, he should seal it up at top and bottom and check there is no fumes coming into any rooms or loft space. Posters like Muckybutt will be able to guide you better on what flue test they should do for you.

The opening is too small to fit a stove into, so you would be looking at a similar style basket to burn logs in. You wont get a vast amount of heat off it, as most will be going up the flue. You could open it up more and fit a stove in, but the costs for this, will be high as you most likely will need a liner for some makes.

Hearth wise, you will still need a hearth and the one you have wont suit, I think. Looking at this website, you will have to have a hearth which stands out from the front of the chimney breast at least 12 inches, maybe more.

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/hearth-regulations/

IMO a visit to a local good fireplace store would help you out, take the photos you have shown with you and they will be able to advise you too. If you are looking at firebaskets, like the type you have already, but more modern, then try and keep away from polished cast iron ones, if you don't want to clean them all the time. They will ' bloom' with heat, turning slightly purple. It is easy to clean, with WD40 and wire wool, but do you want to be doing that all the time, to keep it sparkling?

Most important thing is to get the flue checked really well, so you know it will be safe to use, then go shopping locally to find what is suitable.

Hope all goes well for you.
  • Benzanna
    Options
    OK, that makes it a little clearer, you have a class 1 flue , so you are ok for solid fuel. Next step would be to get a HETAS registered sweep in to do a real good clean and do a Proper smoke test on the flue, not just a smoke bomb, he should seal it up at top and bottom and check there is no fumes coming into any rooms or loft space. Posters like Muckybutt will be able to guide you better on what flue test they should do for you.

The opening is too small to fit a stove into, so you would be looking at a similar style basket to burn logs in. You wont get a vast amount of heat off it, as most will be going up the flue. You could open it up more and fit a stove in, but the costs for this, will be high as you most likely will need a liner for some makes.

Hearth wise, you will still need a hearth and the one you have wont suit, I think. Looking at this website, you will have to have a hearth which stands out from the front of the chimney breast at least 12 inches, maybe more.

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/hearth-regulations/

IMO a visit to a local good fireplace store would help you out, take the photos you have shown with you and they will be able to advise you too. If you are looking at firebaskets, like the type you have already, but more modern, then try and keep away from polished cast iron ones, if you don't want to clean them all the time. They will ' bloom' with heat, turning slightly purple. It is easy to clean, with WD40 and wire wool, but do you want to be doing that all the time, to keep it sparkling?

Most important thing is to get the flue checked really well, so you know it will be safe to use, then go shopping locally to find what is suitable.

Hope all goes well for you.

That's AMAZING! Thank you so much. Really appreciate your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure