Joint PPi Claim - what should I do?

Options
My wife and I separated last year. She's recently signed up with a PPi claims company without my knowledge. They charge 38% + vat and probably other fees.

RBS has offered us an amount relating to a joint account we had from 97 to 2007 although that account is now solely in my name.
(it was for an overdraft ppi which would not have covered us as we were self employed and also my wife was ill from 2001)

Problem I have is that the PPi company won't disclose their final fee to me so I'm not sure whether to accept the RBS offer as I've read some horror stories on claims company charges, or whether I should ignore it and start my own individual PPi claim, would that make any sense?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds a bit dodgy to me to be honest, they wouldn't be able to go ahead without both your signatures.

Possibly the other half has forged yours.....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PPI companies need 2 signatures on a claim form for a joint account claim. Something smells fishy here ........

I'd call them and ask for a copy of the authority they hold for the claim. If "you" have signed it, they should send it.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This topic has been on the forum before, as far as I know (please correct if wrong), the bank will pay out 50/50 to the 2 parties and the one who initiated the PPI claim from the bank will get a bill from the company based on 50?100? % of the reclaim. The ex may try and push half the charges on you but assuming you have received 50% of the claim from the bank, the ex can do one :)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    wot he said ^
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The "spanner in the works" for this is if the OP's signature has been forged on the complaint to the Bank, it may also have been forged on the Claim Company's Letter Of Authority.
    I can't help feeling there may be difficulty ahead for the OP if this is indeed the case.
  • welshgasman
    Options
    I would say it would depend on the loan ownership of each party.

If he has 2 loans sole to him and the wife has 1 loan sole to her and they have a few loans joint, then it would be more complicated. If it is just all loans shared then yes 50-50 would apply.

I would nip this in the bud and get in touch with the bank. If you report it as a potential fraud, they will investigate further. Furthermore it is best to report this to the Police to get a crime ref number if you believe this to be the case.
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    This topic has been on the forum before, as far as I know (please correct if wrong), the bank will pay out 50/50 to the 2 parties and the one who initiated the PPI claim from the bank will get a bill from the company based on 50?100? % of the reclaim. The ex may try and push half the charges on you but assuming you have received 50% of the claim from the bank, the ex can do one :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure