Can I apply to more than one student account?

Options
My University offer has recently become unconditional so I am ready to apply for a student bank account for the overdraft.

However, I have no clue which one to get.

I am considering Santander for the railcard, because I live 5 hours away via train from my Uni so I will save so much money.

But Halifax, HSBC, and Co-OP offer higher overdraft limits, subject to credit rating, right? So, how does it exactly work? After I apply, do they tell me the limit I will get and then ask me if I accept? So could I apply for all four, and then keep the one which offers me the best overdraft and reject the rest?

Not sure what to do.

Comments

• mintedby30?
    mintedby30? Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 August 2014 at 8:53AM
    Options
    They'll credit score you before they can offer you a level of OD so by the time you apply for the fourth there will have been three other checks carried out recently potentially affecting the OD you're given.

It sounds like the santander one would offer you the best deal and perhaps if they don't come up with the OD level you're hoping for you could apply to the co-op one too but would be worth reading the small print of both's t&c's to be totally sure you can do this before making the first application.

Will you definitely have to rely on an OD?

I wouldn't benefit from (and am too old to get:p )the railcard so going to apply to the co-op one.

Good luck

ETA this is from co-op t's&c's so looks like you'd have to close the santander one first- assume you'd get to keep the railcard, maybe even leaving it a few months or until you really need extra OD? HTH

This account must be your only Student current
    account. If you already hold a Student account elsewhere, this must be transferred as part of your application.
    MARCH GROCERY CHALLENGE £118/ £250
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I wouldn't benefit from (and am too old to get:p )the railcard so going to apply to the co-op one.

I seem to remember there's no age limit if you're a full time student.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Viberduo
    Viberduo Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    I seem to remember there's no age limit if you're a full time student.

No age limit however the railcard is only valid for the length of the course so if its a 2 year course and they offer a 5 year railcard you only get a 2 year railcard.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Viberduo wrote: »
    No age limit however the railcard is only valid for the length of the course so if its a 2 year course and they offer a 5 year railcard you only get a 2 year railcard.

The Santander seems to offer a 4 year railcard. So you get an extra year if you only do a 3 year post graduate degree.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure