eBay buyer claiming INAD and asking for partial refund

Hey everyone,
I've never had any previous problems on eBay, I have around 150 100% feedbacks, about half of which are as a seller.
But I've been having an issue with a buyer who I sold a pair of second hand Dr Martens boots to. I listed them as well worn but still usable, and clearly photographed them.
However, the buyer has opened a case against me claiming that they are not as described by saying that they smell musty / of mildew and are completely unwearable. I was unaware of this smell, to me the only smell they had was of shoe polish. She asked for a partial refund of £20, more than half of the original £35 she paid for them. I politely responded explaining that I was unaware of this smell and would give her a partial refund of £10 due to the fact that I felt I had accurately described them.
She refused this money, saying that it was not enough considering she had gone out to buy cleaning products for the boots. I then offered her a full refund provided that she returned the boots, and she still refused this, saying that she was already out of pocket from buying these cleaning products so did not want to send the boots back.
I now do not know what to do as I think the only thing she will accept is the £20 partial refund, but I have been advised that I should never have to give out a partial refund.
I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give me as to whether I should be giving her this partial refund or not.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• No partials refunds, only refund on return full stop.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As above really. No partial refunds. Tell her full refund on return on nothing at all. Stick to your guns. Don't even give her £10 back.

If she opens a case with eBay she'll have to return and provide tracking before she gets a refund.
    Sigless
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    If you give a partial refund, the boots will still be in the same 'unwearable' state that the buyer says they are in. Why would she be happy to pay £15 for 'unwearable' boots?

The buyer has already opened a case, so you have a defect regardless of what you do now. Reply within the case "full refund upon return". Do not deviate from that and do not be drawn into any other argument. Just repeat that every time.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As above, tell her to open a case so that she can safely return them and get a refund ( this does count as a defect so be careful) . Be very apologetic to call her bluff, make it sound like you are really really wanting to get this sorted - but do not deviate from the position that you will refund on return only.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • FidgitsID
    FidgitsID Posts: 227 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2014 at 9:29AM
    As above + put buyer id on your blocked bidder list -
    http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

If buyer mentions case/dispute or does not follow the other feedback rules, you can report it and hopefully get it removed -
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

edit - If you have to refund, using the "refund" button in paypal account will get your paypal fees back except the 20p paypal fee. Id also keep the proof of posting for at least 180days, even if buyer goes quite when told to return for refund, just in case of chargeback.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't be surprised if you don't get them back and you never hear from her again. Whatever happens, if you get them back, block her after refund.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    wolfe1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    I've never had any previous problems on eBay, I have around 150 100% feedbacks, about half of which are as a seller.
    But I've been having an issue with a buyer who I sold a pair of second hand Dr Martens boots to. I listed them as well worn but still usable, and clearly photographed them.
    However, the buyer has opened a case against me claiming that they are not as described by saying that they smell musty / of mildew and are completely unwearable. I was unaware of this smell, to me the only smell they had was of shoe polish. She asked for a partial refund of £20, more than half of the original £35 she paid for them. I politely responded explaining that I was unaware of this smell and would give her a partial refund of £10 due to the fact that I felt I had accurately described them.
    She refused this money, saying that it was not enough considering she had gone out to buy cleaning products for the boots. I then offered her a full refund provided that she returned the boots, and she still refused this, saying that she was already out of pocket from buying these cleaning products so did not want to send the boots back.
    I now do not know what to do as I think the only thing she will accept is the £20 partial refund, but I have been advised that I should never have to give out a partial refund.
    I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give me as to whether I should be giving her this partial refund or not.
    Thanks in advance!

Retract your offer of a partial refund, and offer a refund once they have been returned tracked.

Use some common sense here - if they are unwearable, why on earth would she want a partial refund, as surely they would be NO use to her, so it would be cheaper to return them?

Hence she is clearly a chancer who thinks you are a mug! Tell her to return them for a refund! Bet she won't!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure