We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

"Tell us your fave dish/place/AN Other" Randomly picked

So you enter a competition and it says something like
"Hey guys we all love summer but which is your favorite Ice Cream flavour or what would be your ultimate flavour, let us know in the comment box below"
So you do after to thinking of the most space out flavour you can think of "Mmm blueberries and meringue in a space dust flavour ice cream would be my choice"

Then you see the words "Winner will be picked at random from the entries we receive"

So really it doesn't matter whatever you put does it

Anybody else find this annoying?

Comments

• Roger_Rampant
    Roger_Rampant Posts: 3,282
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 July 2014 at 5:04PM
    I'm not really going to comment on whether it's annoying, because personally I find competition pages that don't work properly a lot more frustrating, but as long as somebody is offering me something free I need to do my best to grin and bear it. I know that some users on this forum won't enter competitions that involve effort such as the type that you mention.

The reason that it happens (although I realise that is not what you're asking) is because "social media engagement" is really big business nowadays, and many corporations are spending a small fortune on both trialling it and refining it:

http://www.socialmediatoday.com/content/social-customer-engagement-index-2014
    Thanks to all who post constructively.
    H
    ave an A1 day!
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Those ones dont annoy me. I read their blurb. If it says winner is picked at random my answer would be "vanilla" knowing im just a number to add to the list of potential winners.
    If it says the best answer will be picked as the winner i would put "blueberries and meringue with space dust".
    There are many more annoying ones for me - anything with a vote grrrr. The MOST annoying are ones by companies who make for example, expensive cake mixers, and say "Post us a piccie of something you made with your expensive cake mixer, and you could win one of our mixers". I never get those as surely the people who most want to win dont have an expensive cake mixer????
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • CheCazzo
    CheCazzo Posts: 559 Forumite
    No - they don't annoy me. What they do do, however, is bring out that little bit of me that's gotten me into trouble my whole life. The bit that makes me write 'Boiled Beef and Carrot' for my favourite ice cream flavour!
  • They don't annoy me, I look for that term and if it doesn't say winners picked at random I give it a miss as I can't be bothered! Yep, I am a lazy comper. Never do any 'effort' ones.
    2018 wins: Aspinal of London jewellery box, Boudavida gym outfit, HP Pavilion laptop, The List party tickets, All Points East festival tickets, Kiehls moisturiser, By Terry cc serum, Nars Liquid Bronzer, Benefit highlighter, Nars illuminator, Fresh advanced lip trio set, Cetaphil sample set, signed copy of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
  • Roger_Rampant
    Roger_Rampant Posts: 3,282
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They don't annoy me, I look for that term and if it doesn't say winners picked at random I give it a miss as I can't be bothered! Yep, I am a lazy comper. Never do any 'effort' ones.

Nothing wrong with that. We all have to decide how much time we are prepared to devote to comping. Let's face it, comping isn't going to make you rich, and if you're not having fun then it's not really worth doing :rotfl:
    Thanks to all who post constructively.
    H
    ave an A1 day!
  • eyeballpaul
    eyeballpaul Posts: 988
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    andrew71 wrote: »
    So you enter a competition and it says something like
    "Hey guys we all love summer but which is your favorite Ice Cream flavour or what would be your ultimate flavour, let us know in the comment box below"
    So you do after to thinking of the most space out flavour you can think of "Mmm blueberries and meringue in a space dust flavour ice cream would be my choice"

Then you see the words "Winner will be picked at random from the entries we receive"

So really it doesn't matter whatever you put does it

Anybody else find this annoying?

No. I like it when it says " random" buried away in the terms and conditions. Some years ago I entered a comp for a 5* weekend with travel costs etc and meals and hotels. You had to write a theatre review to go into the draw. But I checked the T&Cs and it said winner would be picked at random and it wasn't even necessary to write anything. I won it and are worth looking out for.
    thanks to all posters

I've changed my facebook username to NOBODY so when I enter FB comps I press the "Like" button it will say NOBODY likes this
  • wonderwallet
    wonderwallet Posts: 462
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What's really annoying is that on Facebook comps especially, they ask a simple question but all the sob stories come out from people who don't realise that the winner will be picked at random!

Saw one the other week, question was something like 'tell us what you're planning for the weekend' Reply 'visiting my lovely dad's grave as it's exactly one year since he passed away blah blah blah.........'

Mind you, I saw a reply on a Boden comp a few weeks ago something like 'Where would you wear this dress' - someone's answer stated that they were having chemotherapy and underneath the comment Boden asked her to contact them so they could send her a treat - no wonder people try it on!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure