Re: Hopefully Buying Today but which version?

Options
Hey There!

I'm buying a used Swift.

I need an auto and have 3 at the right(ish) price etc!

One is a Suzuki Swift 2010 (60) SZ4 5dr Auto for £6200 with 18,000 miles

The other is a Suzuki Swift 1.5 2009 GLX (Reg says 08?!) 5dr Auto 15,500

Last One is a Suzuki Swift 1.5 SZ4 2010 (60) 16000 on the clock.

All will offer 1yr warranty etc and seem similar in that respect. However i've only had a 1.6 GLX so unsure how the 1.2 will cope with overtaking etc and unsure on trims. So anyone know which one is better?!?

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    What's 1.2 got to do with it, is the first one a 1.2 and the others 1.5?

I don't know Swifts that well, but the thing to do is BUY ON CONDITION - not mileage or how nice the colour etc.
  • newbie2012
    newbie2012 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I know but assuming all good condition. Yes 1.2 is the first one, the older ones on autos were 1.6
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    newbie2012 wrote: »
    I know but assuming all good condition. Yes 1.2 is the first one, the older ones on autos were 1.6

There's no such thing as standardised 'good condition' - one seller's definition of that will be VERY different to another. My advice stands; look at all three, and buy the one that's in the best condition and which you are happy with the price.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From reviews, I'd say avoid the smaller engine. WhatCar has a what to look for section which is concerned about the paint condition, so some clues as to what to check there, i.e. paint, state of front tyres, brakes & rattles when driving:
    The quality of paintwork on the Swift is a hot topic of debate. It’s very susceptible to chips and scrapes, and in some cases cars arrive from the factory with paintwork defects.

The front tyres can wear exceptionally quickly – in some cases in fewer than 12,000 miles.

Some owners also talk about grinding or squealing brakes. In extreme cases dealers are willing to replace the brake discs under warranty. Gearbox problems are another known problem, with a stiff gearchange an early warning sign.

It’s not unusual for cabin rattles to appear in a car over time, but many Swift owners complain of a particularly annoying and persistence rattle from the car’s dashboard.
    http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/suzuki/swift-hatchback/full-review/25393-5#tabsection4

Don't necessarily let those put you off if it is the car that you like, other cars will have issues as well.
  • redcard
    redcard Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Options
    There's no such thing as standardised 'good condition' - one seller's definition of that will be VERY different to another. My advice stands; look at all three, and buy the one that's in the best condition and which you are happy with the price.

It's alright saying get the one in the best condition, but to the novice buyer that will mean the one with the shiniest paint work or the tidiest upholstery.
    Hope over Fear. #VoteYes
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    redcard wrote: »
    It's alright saying get the one in the best condition, but to the novice buyer that will mean the one with the shiniest paint work or the tidiest upholstery.

Maybe, but I think that does a disservice to many. Even novices notice which car 'feels' best; whether its little scratches in the interior, plucks out of the seats, how scuffed the wheels are, parking dents and scuffs on the bumpers, even someone who knows nothing will notice these.

At the price point, mileage and age the OP's looking at, these will be good indicators of overall condition. Once they've had a drive they'll know which one feels best too.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 August 2014 at 1:25PM
    Options
    newbie2012 wrote: »
    Hey There!

I'm buying a used Swift.

I need an auto and have 3 at the right(ish) price etc!

One is a Suzuki Swift 2010 (60) SZ4 5dr Auto for £6200 with 18,000 miles

The other is a Suzuki Swift 1.5 2009 GLX (Reg says 08?!) 5dr Auto 15,500

Last One is a Suzuki Swift 1.5 SZ4 2010 (60) 16000 on the clock.

All will offer 1yr warranty etc and seem similar in that respect. However i've only had a 1.6 GLX so unsure how the 1.2 will cope with overtaking etc and unsure on trims. So anyone know which one is better?!?

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Suzuki_Swift?lang=en
    I have had both 1.5 GLX Automatic and currently I have a 1.2 SZ4 automatic...
    The 1.6 is only fitted to the Swift Sport - which is a nice (MANUAL only) 136 bhp car.
    The 1.2 does have over 90hp - which is a lot for a small engine !!
    The 1.5 (nb NOT 1.6) has less than 10hp more - which is not really noticeable
    To drive - I prefer the 1.5 which is a torquier engine but it makes sense to buy a 1.2 which is much more economical (I get a genuine 50 MPG on a long run (with air con running) - compared to 40mpg average for the 1.5 - the SZ4 has much better equipment too - from Anti Skid Control through 4 electric windows to traction control and Climate rather than normal Air Con... It is also a newer design and handles better.
    All SZ4's are 1.2 (3rd Generation) - GLX's are ALL 1.5 (2nd Generation)
    The 1.2 needs more revs - but is happy cruising at 70 (3000 rpm) on the motorway and is nippy in town.
    The SZ4 is a newer car - bigger than the old model and better !!
    Both cars have been 100% reliable (50,000 miles combined) but the front tyres do tend to wear out faster than average...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure