Telephone engineer wanted

Options
N9eav
N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
I did a stupid thing last weekend. I accidentally cut through the telephone cable that comes into the house from the pole in the street with the shears as I was trimming my wisteria.

I managed to join up the right wires and make it work, but I am having issues with not being able to dial out. I need to make a permanent fix without calling BT.

Anyone recommend a connector I can use?
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT own the phone lines that go into houses. You really should get them to fix it.
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look around for an Openreach van and have a word and see what they say.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They'll most likely report it and you will incur the min charge of around £130.
    The cabling beyond the NTE5 is BT OR's property, and only they can work on it-not an independent engineer.
    Gardening can be an expensive hobby...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    Home insurance...accidental damage? probably find it's not worth claiming though, even if you're covered. Agree with above, it's unfortunate but you're going to have to bite the bullet and report.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have a look in DIY sheds, you need inline crimps and crimping "pliers" to make a permanent connection

The special pliers apply just the right amount of force to make the joint

If you do not know what I am talking about, or how to crimp cables, I think Open reach is the only option
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you DIY fix this and ever need to report a fault, the technician they send out will know it's a DIY fix and depending on their mood may report for further action.

When I had my master socket moved the Openreach technician took one look at my network wiring, patch panel and the fact my phone extensions were all in cat5e, asked if I'd installed it all myself (I had) and declared that I could have just got on with it and not paid the £130!
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure