Specsavers 'free' eye tests - as per weekly email *UPDATED*

Piggywinkle
Piggywinkle Posts: 134 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 July 2014 at 2:08PM in Praise, vent & warnings
http://www.specsavers.co.uk/free-eye-test

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-eye-tests-uk

Hi,

I'm an infrequent poster but just thought I would notify you of an oversight/error with the current Specsavers offer for a free eye test.

I'm well overdue for an eye test, so I was pleased to see this in my weekly email. After clicking on the link and finding there were seemingly no disclaimers or conditions, I went ahead and booked my appointment.

When I arrived and presented my voucher, the staff member informed me that the eye test was only free if I purchased spectacles from the £99 range upwards. I told her that this was in no way mentioned on the website.

She then told me that, as Specsavers are run by franchisees, that they do not necessarily have to offer a free eye test, even if the Specsavers website says they do.

I rang Specsavers customer services who apologised and confirmed that, yes, some franchises were not participating in the offer. I informed them that the webpage needed to be updated in order to reflect that and she said she would inform the marketing team.

I have informed Martin Lewis, MSE and Specsavers on Twitter this afternoon, but I haven't had a response as yet so I thought I'd drop a post here in the meantime. The info on the Specsavers site and also here on MSE needs to be updated to reflect that not all stores are participating.

Hope this has been of some help to someone.

Update

After contacting Specsavers via Twitter, they informed me that ALL stores are taking part and that Cannock have been informed that they need to be offering the free eye tests, regardless of their status as a franchise.

To apologise for my inconvenience, they have offered me a voucher towards some glasses at a Specsavers store of my choice.

If a Specsavers store refuses your voucher, please call Customer Services and inform them of this information.

Good luck and hope none of you have the same problem! :)

Comments

• taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Thanks so much for this warning. I had booked an appointment for both myself and my husband on Saturday to use printed off vouchers, just called them and they said they would only honour vouchers from the specsavers website linked to their branch. Have cancelled and booked at Boots instead as I have vouchers for £10 tests for there. Not as good as free but better than full price.
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • Piggywinkle
    Piggywinkle Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    taurusgb wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this warning. I had booked an appointment for both myself and my husband on Saturday to use printed off vouchers, just called them and they said they would only honour vouchers from the specsavers website linked to their branch. Have cancelled and booked at Boots instead as I have vouchers for £10 tests for there. Not as good as free but better than full price.

Seems my update and your post were done at the same time :) It is well worth contacting Specsavers on Twitter if you have an account. They are @Specsavers and have been really helpful to me this morning. Hope you can get something sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure