Petronas Synthetic Oil vs Triple QX Semi-Synthetic

Options
Just looking to get 1 litre of oil for top-up purposes (10W40) for a petrol Almera (95-00 Mk1).

On Euro Car Parts there's Triple QX 10W40 Semi-synthetic and Petronas 10W40 Synthethic for roughly the same price.

From the service records it looks like the car has always had 10W40 semi-synthetic so is it best to stick with that from Triple QX? Or is there a benefit from synthetic oil?

Actually toyed with the idea of getting 5L and doing an oil change myself, though with a sloped drive I'd have to use a vacuum tube to get the oil out via the dipstick and not change the oil filter (replaced 8 months ago). Not sure whether that's a good idea or not so maybe I'll stick with the top-up and let the garage sort out the oil change!

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    There's lots of benefits of synthetic oil, but you shouldn't mix them.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's no reason at all not to mix 'em. You just won't get those benefits - primarily, better stability and longer life of the oil at extremes of temperature.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    There's lots of benefits of synthetic oil, but you shouldn't mix them.

why shouldnt you mix them? I thought they were compatible

OP if you are just topping up go with whatever you fancy it wont make any difference
  • Stoke
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    There's no reason at all not to mix 'em. You just won't get those benefits - primarily, better stability and longer life of the oil at extremes of temperature.

I was told it's possible to cause oil gelling when mixing semi and fully synthetic.

Personally, I won't ever go back to semi.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I was told it's possible to cause oil gelling when mixing semi and fully synthetic.
    It isn't.
    They may have been thinking of mixing normal and red coolant, which can gel.
  • Stoke
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It isn't.
    They may have been thinking of mixing normal and red coolant, which can gel.
    Ahh yes that might be true!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I know the car uses about 1L between annual services so I've ordered 1 litre of Triple QX semi-synthetic.

Out of interest have any of you done an oil change using an oil extractor using suction/vacuum via the dipstick hole? If so, any recommendations for a brand of oil extractor?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    urbankoala wrote: »
    Out of interest have any of you done an oil change using an oil extractor using suction/vacuum via the dipstick hole?
    A technique designed solely to save time. Unless you HAVE to, because of lack-of-drain-plug, use the drain plug. You'll get more out, you'll get more deposits out, and you'll have a good excuse to look around the underside for issues at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure