Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Irrigating my greenhouse...

So, I got an email from Thomson and Morgan advertising a thing called a seeper hose. This apparently allows water to leak out of hundreds of little holes and can be used as an irrigation system, attached to a normal hose (if necessary) which is, in turn, attached to a mechanical timer attached to a tap. It all sounds a good idea to keep my greenhouse plants and veg watered whilst we're away on holiday. Just wondered if anyone had used one, especially spread round greenhouse shelving?

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I used one, not in greenhouse, and many commercial gardens do, it works, and mine did until a stuck a fork through it :(

You can buy them form many places, the one I had was made from recycled car tyres
  • SlubberdSlubberd Forumite
    91 Posts
    I have just bought a 6M (19.5ft) one today in Poundland - you guessed it - for a pound.:D

Let's face it - its a hose with tiny holes in it and for that price - worth a punt. I'm putting it in the base of my raised beds so I'm guessing will be ideal for your needs.

I'm guessing T&M want a bit more than that - I'm not bothered with such things as long as they work.

All the best.
  • edited 29 July 2014 at 6:15PM
    trollopscarletwomantrollopscarletwoman Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    edited 29 July 2014 at 6:15PM
    Slubberd wrote: »
    I have just bought a 6M (19.5ft) one today in Poundland - you guessed it - for a pound.

Old ones are the best ones.

Customer asks poundland employee 'how much is this'?

Answer-'It's a pound.'

Worth a punt for a pound.

Having said that not everything is a pound in poundland.
    Some items are 99p
  • SlubberdSlubberd Forumite
    91 Posts
    Having said that not everything is a pound in poundland.
    Some items are 99p

I''l say - 3 for a pound??? Goes against everything I stand for in a pound store!:D
  • wellusedwellused Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I bought a click and drip watering system from greenhouse sensation mine works off of a water butt without a timer and cost £25. I was hoping that the 100L water butt would keep the system going for a few days but found that it only lasted for 24 hours. I did notice that the connector which fits the tap was weeping though so after fixing that problem I reckon that the water butt will keep the watering going for maybe getting on for two days, of course if it rains while I'm away the water butt will refill itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals