Apple OS X Yosemite Beta?

Options
prowla
prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Well, I installed it into a VM, and it's a bit bland and flat.
In my VM, the dock has no transparency and the menu bar is black on white with no texture.
It's not quite as bad as Windows 8, but I'm hoping they'll perk it up a bit before the full release.

Comments

• DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which Developer Preview version are you using?

I kind like the "dark mode" as opposed to normal mode, but wish they would extend it to the rest of the UI as opposed to just menu and dock.

The overall "flatness" is meant to be creating a synergy with iOS, Continuity/Handoff is a great feature, quite impressed with it.

Its certainly evolved a lot during DP1->DP3 and DP4 is a ton more stable for me.

There are some tricks to getting it to appear more "fancier" if you like the older style mavericks, theres a thread on the developer forums with some plist etc changes.
  • prowla
    Options
    I just downloaded it today and installed it in a VM on my Mac mini.

I don't mind not having the glass shelf dock, but a flat single colour one is a bit jarring.

Likewise the monochrome menu bar is reminiscent of the Mac SE/30 I used in the 80s.

My first impression of the current flat IOS was that it looked fresher, whereas the OS X one just seems retrograde.

I think Apple can do better than this.
  • 1uk3y
    1uk3y Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I also have Yosemite Beta on my MacBook Air. First impressions are generally good bar a few annoying little issues which I'm sure they will fix. I also feel Safari in Yosemite is very buggy. I don't know whether anyone else is getting this issue but sometimes by tabs disappear and the 'add tab +' button disappears.
    Another thing i think they could improve is the GUI of windows in the background. They look a little flat and I don't think they are glassy enough.

I do like spotlight, I like the notification centre too. Yosemite has also cut about 2 seconds off my 11 second boot up speed on my Macbook Air too!! :)
    -- Teacher of Art, Product Design & Graphic Design -- Graphic Designer -- Product Designer -- Bona fide Sci-Fi nerd and Techie! --
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm Developer Preview 5 introduces really annoying issues with keyboard/mouse not responding on wake from sleep on Air and Pro...
  • prowla
    Options
    1uk3y wrote: »
    I also have Yosemite Beta on my MacBook Air. First impressions are generally good bar a few annoying little issues which I'm sure they will fix. I also feel Safari in Yosemite is very buggy. I don't know whether anyone else is getting this issue but sometimes by tabs disappear and the 'add tab +' button disappears.
    Another thing i think they could improve is the GUI of windows in the background. They look a little flat and I don't think they are glassy enough.

I do like spotlight, I like the notification centre too. Yosemite has also cut about 2 seconds off my 11 second boot up speed on my Macbook Air too!! :)
    I think in IOS the flat feel works rather well, giving a feeling of depth; I'm just not getting that feeling in OS X.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure