Argos delivery charge

Options
This is a mixed warning and praise post for Argos, I don't want any advice but just to find out how many others this has happened to and to see if Argos should and possibly would change this for customers, so this is what happened:

Last week went into local store ordered what Argos called a bulky item so had to have home delivery, at till was told as it was a two man job I would have to pay £8.95 agreed it was fair for two man job agreed time and left store pleased.

Today delivery day, get phone message its going to be delivered (its earlier than arranged but fine with me).
Get knock at door I answer, sign for 1x flatpack item delivered by one man and no sign of two men?

Phone Argos customer service number on receipt and they refund me £5 back (not a two man job remember only one man delivered it!).

I am left wondering how many of Argos customers have also paid for a two man delivery for only one man to actually deliver it and been charged the full £8.95 ?? :O

Now the praise bit - thank you Argos for not arguing the point, being very professional and courteous whilst I was on the phone and for refunding the £5 back straight away :-)
Comp wins 2013:160 finish quantum tabs, 2xtickets private screening of prisoners(Jake n Hugh 2)
Lights4you - Battery powered Rose Lights,
£120 worth of local symphony orchestra concerts, Bulmers bottle n beanie hat, Imperial Leather Batiste dry shampoo & tanning stuff (thanks Genie).

Comments

• bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    What I will say is that the till assistant is only shown a warning that it's a bulky item & the relevant delivery charge which will be listed as a 2-man job. That'll mostly be because IT will set the weight as defined in various H&S publications where you're supposed to switch to 2-man jobs - something the till assistant can't override.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • flicks
    flicks Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 July 2014 at 10:09AM
    Options
    From my experience most heavy items are two man delivery. The chap on the lorry and the person they are delivering the item to.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've helped the driver to deliver heavy items to me which in reality are far too heavy for one person to lift.

Not sure what happens when they get to somewhere where nobody is fit or able to help them.

Parcel delivery companies are the true money saving experts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure