mpg readout/ scangauge / ultragauge

Options
Hi iv just been handed down a car from my dad (who recently past away). Its a Mazda 3 but its not got a real time mpg readout like i have on my ford focus, and i was wondering if anyone can tell if i can one for it. I have seen something called a scan gauge or an ultra gauge, they say they do the same thing and more. If anyones tried or got one let me know.

Comments

• harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Fill the tank. Reset trip meter. Drive til empty. Fill up. Make note of miles covered and how many litres youve just put in.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've run a ScangaugeII for several years - on various vehicles - brilliant bit of kit.

It does a lot more than give you a live mpg reading.

A big selection of digital gauges of which it can display any 4 at a time. I normally select fuel consumption / coolant temp / voltage / and air input temperature at the turbo - but you can change the selection in an instant.

Very good trip computer - as long as you keep up-dating the fuel cost/litre and how much you fill up.

And last - but certainly not least - because it is connected to the OBD port it scans for fault codes and can also clear them.

Not cheap - but a great diagnostic tool I wouldn't be without.

http://www.scangauge.com/
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think he means the meter type which shows the mpg you will get from the tank as you are driving. My Picanto does this, it does help to keep the mpg down, I can always see when the OH has driven, her foot has more lead in it.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • andygreenwood
    Options
    Peter_the _pipes right i like the real time mpg as im driving. There's one called ultra gauge, the looks are better but its bigger.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Scangauge is brilliant.

I believe Ultragauge are just cheap clones but they do work.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do believe that you can buy a cheap obd dongle and use an app , like torque with your android 'phone to do much the same thing for a lot less money.

The bluetooth dongles do NOT work with an iphone, it needs a wifi type (guess how I know :mad:)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    I do believe that you can buy a cheap obd dongle and use an app , like torque with your android 'phone to do much the same thing for a lot less money.

The bluetooth dongles do NOT work with an iphone, it needs a wifi type (guess how I know :mad:)

Torque MPG read out is awful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport