Hmmmm......

Friday PM someone sends an offer. It's an old range (new and boxed) so I accept the offer to get rid. They pay my at 4pm, ordinarily it would go Monday but I am packing so I chuck it in the post and mark it dispatched. Half an hour I get a message 'when and how you posting my item'. So I mailed back and said tonight as you caught me packing. No reply.

Last night at Midnight I get a message. 'The strap is broken on the item, send me a refund'.

I was still awake so mail back with apologies and offer check my stock in the morning and send a replacement if I have one.

Reply 'A replacement is no use to me, I want a refund'.

Hmmmm, really, so a new one was OK on Friday afternoon but it is no use to you on Monday?

Me 'OK, no problem please return the item to me and I will refund you in full. I'd like to investigate the damage on it anyway so if you can return it that would be most appreciated, I will send you the money to pay for it, thanks.' Then I opened the 'customer wants to return an item for a refund' case.

I've woken up to 2 messages 'I cannot get out to post it, please send me a replacement'. and 'I want a replacement instead'.

Of course you do.

Meh, I am just going to say I am out of stock and refund the money and be done with it instead of being screwed out of 2 items. Anyone else wish we could share our BBL? At least they used the Other option to message me I suppose. Maybe my email works.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Make them send a photo!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Please don't just refund or replace without either a photo of the damage or it being returned!

You've opened a case; request the above IN the case; NOT through messages. Stick to your guns. Doing anything else will encourage this person to try again with other sellers. IF the item is damaged; fair do's - BUT they must be prepared to provide proof.

I always email to advise that every item is checked by me before sending and to do the above - I generally have heard nothing more.

You do need to word this tactfully so you can express surprise that this has slipped through the net and you would like to bring it to the supplier's attention etc.

I do not refund on the strength of a message. Debenhams and M&S wouldn't. Nor do I.
  • mrs_sparrow
    mrs_sparrow Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Thanks. Yeah, I know. Just that sometimes you know where is going to be no reasoning with some people.

I've just been sent another message asking for a replacement.

I've asked for a picture of the damage now.

I just feel there is little point in asking some eBayers for anything as you know they are just going to file INAD - which is why I filed the Buyer wants a refund case, I am hoping this cannot be over ridden with their own claim.
  • mrs_sparrow
    I just remembered that My Hermes collect from the door. Ha!
  • mrs_sparrow
    Oh dear..... suddenly the strap has been fixed.
  • mrs_sparrow
    Thanks everyone. I usually just refund people that do this. Not any more.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Excellent result!
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Good outcome.
    Sometimes the advice on here is just to roll over and refund the buyer, but I think it's worth backing yourself a bit, and getting a balance between being helpful, but not being taken for a ride.
  • sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    I used to just refund people. Now I always insist they open a case, and return (if it's faulty). I hardly ever have to make refunds anymore.
    It's worth the defect.
  • mrs_sparrow
    Well, the buyer came back and said they no longer need a refund or a replacement and they left good feedback too. Hopefully they'll not try it again with someone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure